Mar 21, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
21 offensive rebounds and 26 second chance points were just too much for Providence.
Mar 15, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Entering the week as a team squarely on the bubble, Providence removed any doubt by winning the Big East championship.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
LaDontae Henton scored 26 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to lead Providence to its first Big East tournament title game appearance in 20 years.
Mar 14, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Providence’s best player against St. John’s wasn’t Bryce Cotton.
Mar 13, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Despite a mediocre outing from senior All-American Bryce Cotton, Providence held on for a 79-74 win over St. John’s on Thursday as the Friars won the Big East Tournament quarterfinal game which amounted to an NCAA Tournament play-in game for the two bubble teams.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Providence has found itself in double-overtime four times during Big East play this season. The most recent thriller came on Tuesday night against Marquette with the Friars’ NCAA tournament hopes undoubtedly on the line. In his 50th minute of action — the fourth time he’s logged every minute of a double-overtime game in the past nine…
Feb 8, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
With No. 6 Villanova and No. 12 Creighton not only headed to the NCAA tournament but in the process of fighting to earn protected (top four) seeds, the Big East has at least two teams who will hear their names called on Selection Sunday. The question at this juncture in the season is who else…
Jan 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Bryce Cotton, Providence Bryce Cotton has been a really good player for the Friars for a long time, but since Providence has spent the entirety of his tenure on campus mired in national irrelevance, he hasn’t gotten near the amount of attention that he deserves. This week that changed. Cotton averaged 21.5…
Jan 25, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
Bryce Cotton finished with 25 points and seven assists and LeDontae Henton added 23 points and 11 boards as Providence won their fifth straight game on Saturday, knocking off Xavier 81-72. The Friars moved to 15-5 overall and 5-2 in league play, putting them in a tie with Xavier for third place, just a game…
Jan 18, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
One of the biggest questions entering Big East play was how would the three newcomers, Butler, Creighton and Xavier, adjust to life in a new (and more physical) conference. While the Bulldogs have struggled both Creighton and Xavier have taken to their new surroundings, with the Bluejays entering Saturday’s game at Providence ranked 20th nationally…
Dec 28, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
AMHERST — Trey Davis told UMass coach Derek Kellogg he was confident he could take his man off the dribble and win the Minutemen the game. He did his typical jumpstop into a floater, but his shot came up a little bit short. Luckily the ball landed right into the hands of sophomore guard Derrick…
Nov 11, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Kendrick Perry, Youngstown State Perry led the Penguins to a championship in the Kennesaw State Tournament this weekend, becoming the only team in the country to go 3-0 in the first three days of the season. The wins themselves weren’t overly impressive — Kennesaw State, Florida International and Eastern Kentucky — but…
Dec 28, 2012, 7:14 PM EDT
Providence continues to be shorthanded. In the last two weeks, the Friars have gotten freshman guard Kris Dunn (shoulder) and Vincent Council (hamstring) – active tonight against Brown for the first time since Nov. 10 – back into the lineup. Even though Dunn was impressive in his debut against Colgate with 13 assists and Council,…
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)