Mar 21, 2014, 9:59 PM EST
21 offensive rebounds and 26 second chance points were just too much for Providence.
Mar 15, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
Entering the week as a team squarely on the bubble, Providence removed any doubt by winning the Big East championship.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:16 PM EST
LaDontae Henton scored 26 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to lead Providence to its first Big East tournament title game appearance in 20 years.
Mar 14, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
Providence’s best player against St. John’s wasn’t Bryce Cotton.
Mar 13, 2014, 5:33 PM EST
Despite a mediocre outing from senior All-American Bryce Cotton, Providence held on for a 79-74 win over St. John’s on Thursday as the Friars won the Big East Tournament quarterfinal game which amounted to an NCAA Tournament play-in game for the two bubble teams.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Providence has found itself in double-overtime four times during Big East play this season. The most recent thriller came on Tuesday night against Marquette with the Friars’ NCAA tournament hopes undoubtedly on the line. In his 50th minute of action — the fourth time he’s logged every minute of a double-overtime game in the past nine…
Feb 8, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
With No. 6 Villanova and No. 12 Creighton not only headed to the NCAA tournament but in the process of fighting to earn protected (top four) seeds, the Big East has at least two teams who will hear their names called on Selection Sunday. The question at this juncture in the season is who else…
Jan 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EST
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Bryce Cotton, Providence Bryce Cotton has been a really good player for the Friars for a long time, but since Providence has spent the entirety of his tenure on campus mired in national irrelevance, he hasn’t gotten near the amount of attention that he deserves. This week that changed. Cotton averaged 21.5…
Jan 25, 2014, 2:26 PM EST
Bryce Cotton finished with 25 points and seven assists and LeDontae Henton added 23 points and 11 boards as Providence won their fifth straight game on Saturday, knocking off Xavier 81-72. The Friars moved to 15-5 overall and 5-2 in league play, putting them in a tie with Xavier for third place, just a game…
Jan 18, 2014, 11:16 PM EST
One of the biggest questions entering Big East play was how would the three newcomers, Butler, Creighton and Xavier, adjust to life in a new (and more physical) conference. While the Bulldogs have struggled both Creighton and Xavier have taken to their new surroundings, with the Bluejays entering Saturday’s game at Providence ranked 20th nationally…
Dec 28, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
AMHERST — Trey Davis told UMass coach Derek Kellogg he was confident he could take his man off the dribble and win the Minutemen the game. He did his typical jumpstop into a floater, but his shot came up a little bit short. Luckily the ball landed right into the hands of sophomore guard Derrick…
Nov 11, 2013, 9:48 AM EST
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Kendrick Perry, Youngstown State Perry led the Penguins to a championship in the Kennesaw State Tournament this weekend, becoming the only team in the country to go 3-0 in the first three days of the season. The wins themselves weren’t overly impressive — Kennesaw State, Florida International and Eastern Kentucky — but…
Dec 28, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
Providence continues to be shorthanded. In the last two weeks, the Friars have gotten freshman guard Kris Dunn (shoulder) and Vincent Council (hamstring) – active tonight against Brown for the first time since Nov. 10 – back into the lineup. Even though Dunn was impressive in his debut against Colgate with 13 assists and Council,…
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)