Aug 5, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Obekpa quit the St. John’s program in June.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jun 24, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Obekpa considered transferring last spring before deciding to return for his junior season.
Apr 7, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Chris Mullin took over as the new head coach on March 30.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
St. John’s received some big news this week as sophomore center Chris Obekpa decided to stay in New York.
Apr 13, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
So maybe he’s not transferring
Feb 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EDT
Having won nine of their last ten games entering Saturday’s contest at No. 9 Villanova, St. John’s has been one of the hotter bubble teams in the country. A win over the Wildcats would further cement St. John’s status as a team charging towards an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. And given their 0-5…
Feb 21, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
St. John’s announced on Monday that Chris Obekpa, the Big East school’s sui generis shot blocker, would miss ten to fourteen days with an ankle injury. The news was seen as having the potential to derail the Red Storm’s NCAA tournament hopes — since the team lost their initial five conference games, SJU has won…
Feb 18, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
On Monday, St. John’s sophomore center Chris Obekpa was diagnosed with a sprain and bone bruise in his right ankle after suffering an injury during practice. On Tuesday, St. John’s announced he could be sidelined for up to two weeks. “Chris is a central part of what we do on both ends of the court. Our…
Nov 19, 2013, 11:44 PM EDT
QUEENS, NY — As St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin put it in his opening statement during the postgame press conference: “It was a tale of two halves tonight. Bucknell won the first, St. John’s won the second.” From the Red Storm’s perspective, the first half showed a one-dimensional offense that relied on transition and…
Oct 25, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
When St. John’s took the court for their Red Storm Tip-Off tonight they were without an important piece. Earlier Friday the school announced that sophomore center Chris Obekpa has been suspended for two games due to a violation of university policy. The two games will be the Red Storm’s exhibitions against San Francisco State and…
Apr 15, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
With all of the big signings and impending decisions at the top of the 2012 class, let us not forget the quality players still uncommitted in the latter half of the Top 100. That group includes Our Savior New American’s (N.Y.) Chris Obekpa, a 6-8, 225-pound forward and perhaps the best shot-blocker in the class,…
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)