North Carolina honors Dean Smith by running Four Corners offense (and scoring) on first possession (VIDEO)
Feb 21, 2015, 12:35 PM EST
North Carolina honored Dean Smith by running the Four Corners offense to open its game against Georgia Tech.
Feb 12, 2015, 9:52 PM EST
A public memorial to honor the life of Dean Smith will be held February 22 at the Smith Center on the UNC campus.
Feb 8, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Two Naismith hall of famers, Larry Brown and Roy Williams, are among the many who have used the lessons learned from Smith to become successful head coaches.
Feb 8, 2015, 12:45 PM EST
Dean Smith produced 26 All-Americans and sent 25 players to the first round of the NBA Draft.
Feb 8, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
The passing of North Carolina head coach Dean Smith elicited reactions from all over.
Feb 8, 2015, 9:20 AM EST
One of the giants of college basketball passed away Saturday evening.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:10 AM EST
Vince Carter highlight reels are still the best.
Mar 2, 2014, 1:05 PM EST
Dean Smith, the legendary North Carolina basketball coach, who amassed 879 wins, won two national titles and reached the Final Four 11 times, celebrated his 83rd birthday on Feb. 28. Though for years now the Hall of Fame coach has endured an ongoing struggle with dementia. John Feinstein of the Washington Post published a story on Saturday,…
Feb 8, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Three items of Michael Jordan memorabilia from his days at the University of North Carolina sold for auction on Saturday morning through Goldin Auctions. The three pieces from Jordan’s days in Chapel Hill include two recruiting letters — one from Bill Guthridge and one from Dean Smith — and a diploma. The diploma sold for…
Jan 10, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
Auctions tend to turn up some interesting items for people to buy, ranging from your standard items to those that are extremely valuable. So where would a recruiting letter that former North Carolina head coach Dean Smith sent to a young Michael Jordan fall? According to Comcast SportsNet Chicago, the letter’s up for auction after…
Aug 13, 2012, 9:25 AM EST
The Tobacco Road rivalry is the biggest in college basketball. Bar none, end of discussion. As much as we like to believe that the games played between North Carolina and Duke supersede all bonds of family and national pride, it turns out that two of the men at the heart of the game’s most vituperative…
Jul 19, 2010, 3:22 AM EST
Dean Smith’s family confirmed Saturday what’s been a well-known secret in college hoops circles – the legendary coach’s memory is failing. Gerry Broome/AP They sent a letter to former players and coaches, parts of which made it into stories in various media outlets. This is from the Raleigh News & Observer: “…Our dad has a…
Jul 14, 2010, 9:42 PM EST
As news about Dean Smith’s memory issues emerged last week, there was essentially one response from readers and writers: sadness. Few coaches are more respected than the North Carolina icon, perhaps because he was as concerned about how his players developed as people as much as their basketball development. That’s the kind of person we…
Jul 8, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
If there’s a depressing story for college hoops fans this week, it’s this report from the Fayetteville Observer: Dean Smith is suffering from memory loss. The legendary North Carolina coach, 79, helped the school celebrate its 100th year of hoops earlier this year, but the celebration among the Carolina family was a bit muted because…
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)