Jan 17, 2015, 5:48 PM EST
The 11 points Zach Coleman scored during a seven-plus minute stretch in the second half helped UMass beat URI in Amherst.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EST
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
May 6, 2014, 11:20 PM EST
UMass landed its first player in its Class of 2015.
Feb 23, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
AMHERST, Mass. – Following Friday night’s loss to UMass, VCU head coach Shaka Smart entered the room for his postgame press conference, firing off a question before even taking his seat at the table. “Is this the same room where John Chaney said, ‘I’ll kill you’?,” he asked, referring to the former Temple coach’s confrontation with…
Feb 22, 2014, 2:01 AM EST
Game of the night: Massachusetts 80, VCU 75 During the Atlantic 10 media day, I spoke with Massachusetts coach Derek Kellogg about his team’s three-point dependence. Since he arrived at UMass, Kellogg’s squads were content to jack a high percentages of threes, consistently posting a three-point attempts percentage in the mid-30s. After asking Kellogg whether…
Jan 26, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
UMass, the No. 13 team in the nation, saw its late-game magic run out in a loss, on the road, against Richmond on Wednesday night. The Minutemen used come-from-behind wins against St. Joesph’s, St. Bonaventure and George Mason in three of the four games leading up to its matchup with the Spiders. And on Sunday…
Nov 10, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
BOSTON – In the middle game of Sunday’s Coaches vs. Cancer tripleheader, UMass kicked off its season with a quality non-conference win over Boston College, using a second half surge to propel the Minutemen to an 86-73 victory inside the TD Garden. “We all knew that this game hurt us or help us down the…
Sep 3, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
To kick-off college basketball in the Bay State, the head coaches of the seven Division 1 schools in Massachusetts will gather at Boston’s TD Garden on the morning of September 26 for the Coaches vs. Cancer Tip-Off Breakfast. The breakfast will be hosted and moderated by ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, with first-year Boston Celtics head coach Brad…
1965 Springfield College basketball team, John Calipari, Derek Kellogg, and Bruiser Flint inducted into New England Basketball Hall of Fame
Jun 23, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Basketball has developed into a true global sport; the NBA’s wild popularity in China and other foreign countries is evidence of this. The number of players from overseas playing in the NBA and in the college game is at an all-time high. Nearly 50 years ago, the Springfield College men’s basketball put the game we…
Jul 21, 2012, 7:00 PM EST
Watch UMass head coach get deep, deep into the intersection between psychobabble and coachspeak as he explains why the Minutemen are working with a shrink. No word yet whether Kellogg and his staff have instituted the classic “fall backward into my arms” drill, but we’ll keep our eyes open.
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 0
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)