Feb 16, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Las Vegas will honor former UNLV head coach Jerry Tarkanian by dimming the lights on the Vegas Strip.
Feb 12, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
Tark began his career at LBSU.
Feb 12, 2015, 2:53 PM EST
Chase Jeter, Chris’ son, is a top ten player headed to Duke next season.
Feb 11, 2015, 11:59 AM EST
Tarkanian was 84 years old.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
After spending some time in the hospital battling pneumonia, legendary coach Jerry Tarkanian is leaving the hospital.
Apr 10, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
The legendary coach has been in poor health in recent years.
Dec 10, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
The honors are continuing to roll in for Jerry Tarkanian, the former national champion coach who amassed more than 700 victories (more if you include junior colleges) in his 30-year coaching career at Long Beach State, UNLV and Fresno State The latest recognition comes from the school he played his collegiate ball for (1954-1955) and…
Oct 30, 2013, 8:59 PM EST
The day that UNLV fans have been waiting for finally arrived, as on Wednesday the school unveiled the bronze statue built in honor for Jerry Tarkanian, one of the most successful coaches in basketball history. In 19 seasons at UNLV, “Tark the Shark” won 509 games and led the Runnin’ Rebels to their lone national…
Sep 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Jerry Tarkanian, who guided UNLV to the 1990 NCAA title, was one of a dozen new members inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame this weekend in Springfield, Mass. Tarkanian is currently 83 years old, and unfortunately his health has been declining, which limited his Hall of Fame enshrinement weekend. During Saturday afternoon’s…
May 1, 2013, 8:11 PM EST
On Wednesday UNLV unveiled the design of the statue being built in honor of the school’s winningest head coach, Jerry Tarkanian, and it will include “Tark the Shark’s” famous towel. The bronze statue, which is expected to be finished by July and unveiled outside of the Thomas & Mack Center shortly thereafter, will be approximately…
Aug 8, 2012, 11:46 AM EST
Born Aug. 8, 1930, legendary coach Jerry Tarkanian celebrates his 82nd birthday Wednesday, now a decade removed from his last job at a Division I school. Tarkanian, most recognizable for his time with UNLV’s famed “Runnin’ Rebel” teams of the late 1980s and early 1990s, went to four Final Fours and won a national championship…
Sep 7, 2010, 8:41 PM EST
So sick of “The Most Interesting Man in the World” ads. Given that “interesting” is meant to be synonymous with “cool” it fails after the second viewing. The guy’s a dolt.That’s why certain labels are problematic for lists. Thankfully, Andy Glockner dodges that issue with his “Most compelling teams since ’91 UNLV.” Simply put, who…
Aug 5, 2010, 6:48 AM EST
Few blogs offer up better anecdotes than Shark Bytes, Jerry Tarkanian’s online rambling spot on LasVegasSun.com. The legendary UNLV coach excels at funny, off-kilter stories (this Pac-10 post from 2009 remains one of my faves) that aren’t even always about college hoops. Alas, Tark’s last post was in May. What to do? If you’re me,…
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)