Mar 7, 2015, 9:50 PM EDT
The Bruins will be making their second NCAA tournament appearance in three seasons.
Feb 25, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
The CBI becomes the second postseason event to announce that it will use a 30-second shot clock this spring.
Feb 6, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
In the past some conferences have experimented with potential rule changes in exhibitions. This spring the NCAA will use the NIT to evaluate two possible changes.
Jan 18, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
A couple of long-time Division I coaches reach milestone win totals on Saturday.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The OVC looks like a three-team race this season.
Mar 4, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
Last season, Kerron Johnson propelled Belmont, in its first season as a conference member, to the Ohio Valley tournament title with a last-second bucket over Murray State. If all goes according to plan, the Bruins and the Racers will meet up again in the OVC championship game as they head into the field this season…
Dec 12, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Now that we’re a month into the college basketball season, it’s a good time to take a look at the impact that the new points of emphasis regarding contact have had on the sport. Of course there have been some foul-fests due to the combination of players and officials working to adjust to the rules…
Nov 17, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
J.J. Mann hit three threes in the final minute to help erase a late eight-point deficit as Belmont went into the Dean Dome and knocked off North Carolina 83-80 on Sunday afternoon. The junior guard finished with 28 points, but was just 5-for-18 from the floor and 2-for-11 from three before catching fire in the…
Oct 17, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Only three programs have earned an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament in six out of the last eight seasons — Kansas, Memphis and the Bruins. The Belmont Bruins. The latest trip to the Big Dance this past March almost didn’t happen. Belmont head coach Rick Byrd needed two clutch shots, including the game-winner, from senior…
Aug 31, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Last year, Rick Byrd put together a schedule that gave Belmont some tough tests. According to the Nashville Tennesseean, the Bruins played the No. 2 strength of schedule – traveling to Stanford, VCU and Kansas – and ended up with a top-25 RPI in 2012-13. Pretty impressive, but this year’s slate might be even more…
Oct 6, 2012, 11:39 PM EDT
Rick Byrd is one of those coaches who just seems happy where he is. When he took over the Belmont Bruins in 1986, the program was a member of the TranSouth Athletic Conference of the NAIA. Ten years later, in 1996, the Bruins made an epic leap to the NCAA’s Division I, spending five seasons…
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)