Jun 18, 2013, 5:46 PM EST
Harry Giles (Wesleyan Christian Academy/Winston-Salem, N.C.) was one of 12 players selected to the USA Basketball Under-16 team, playing in the FIBA World Championship in Uruguay. The 6-foot-9 2016 recruit injured his left knee on Wednesday in a win over Argentina.
On Tuesday, Giles told Jason Jordan of USA Today that he torn his ACL and MCL. Kenny Beck of WXII News in North Carolina also reported one of the top rising sophomores had also torn his meniscus and no date for surgery has been scheduled.
ESPN had recently ranked him as the top player in the Class of 2016.
“It’s confirmed that he is going to have to have surgery,” said Keith Gatlin, Giles’ head coach at Wesleyan told the News-Record on Tuesday. “He did have some damage.”
Giles led Wesleyan to a 3A state championship this year as a freshman. Giles averaged 13 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks per game. He already holds offers from North Carolina — the first freshman Roy Williams has ever offered a scholarship to — Ohio State, North Carolina State and Wake Forest. His sophomore season may now be in question.
“To be honest with you, it really doesn’t matter because we just want to make sure Harry gets healthy,” Gatlin told David Reynolds. “Because he’s so young, I think he’ll be fine in the long run.”
The 15-year-old is sulking and is already getting ready for a comeback.
Giles goes on to say he plans to come back “way better” than he was before. – tweeted Beck
Tough break for one of the nation’s most exciting young players. Luckily, he will have time to recover.
Photo courtesy USA Basketball
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)