Mar 25, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
The Detroit Pistons have had a miserable season, one that got head coach Maurice Cheeks fired and could result in the end of the Joe Dumars tenure with the organization.
Eventually, the Pistons are going to have to find a head coach to rebuild the team, and one of the names that is popping up in rumors is Tom Izzo, the current Michigan State head coach. Sam Amick of USA Today said this morning that Izzo will be one of the first guys that the Detroit ownership targets, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that Tom Gores is a Michigan State alum.
Izzo has flirted with the NBA before. He almost left East Lansing to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers back in 2011, and even admitted to SI.com earlier this month that he’s frustrated with recruiting elite talent and the expectations that come with building a winning program.
Michigan State has a chance to win a national title this season, but with Adreian Payne and Keith Appling graduating, the potential for Branden Dawson and Gary Harris to turn pro, and a rebuilding year or two on the immediate horizon, there may actually be some legs to the theory that Izzo will make the leap to the next level after the season.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 2
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)