Apr 1, 2014, 6:54 PM EST
Matt Carlino has decided to leave BYU, the school announced on Tuesday.
The junior point guard completed his second full season with the Cougars and is on pace to graduate in June. He’ll have one year remaining, and will receive immediate eligibility at his next school per the graduate transfer rule.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity Coach Rose and his staff have given me,” Carlino said in a statement. “I’m also grateful for my teammates, professors and advisors for making my time at BYU such a great experience and for helping me grow so much as a person. Thank you to the fans that have given me so much support. I feel very blessed that I was able to represent BYU.”
This season, Carlino averaged 13.7 points, 4.3 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game for BYU, which reached the NCAA tournament before being eliminated by Oregon in the Round of 64.
“We’re really grateful for Matt’s contribution to the success of our program over the last three years,” BYU head coach Dave Rose said. “We wish Matt and his family the very best in their future endeavors. Matt was a great teammate and will be missed by the coaching staff and players.”
The 6-foot-2 Carlino began his collegiate career at UCLA, though, transferred out midway through his first year. He sat out the first half of the 2011-2012 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He made an immediate impact in the final 25 games for the Cougar, posting averages of 12.2 points, 4.6 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)