Apr 1, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Matt Carlino has decided to leave BYU, the school announced on Tuesday.
The junior point guard completed his second full season with the Cougars and is on pace to graduate in June. He’ll have one year remaining, and will receive immediate eligibility at his next school per the graduate transfer rule.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity Coach Rose and his staff have given me,” Carlino said in a statement. “I’m also grateful for my teammates, professors and advisors for making my time at BYU such a great experience and for helping me grow so much as a person. Thank you to the fans that have given me so much support. I feel very blessed that I was able to represent BYU.”
This season, Carlino averaged 13.7 points, 4.3 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game for BYU, which reached the NCAA tournament before being eliminated by Oregon in the Round of 64.
“We’re really grateful for Matt’s contribution to the success of our program over the last three years,” BYU head coach Dave Rose said. “We wish Matt and his family the very best in their future endeavors. Matt was a great teammate and will be missed by the coaching staff and players.”
The 6-foot-2 Carlino began his collegiate career at UCLA, though, transferred out midway through his first year. He sat out the first half of the 2011-2012 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He made an immediate impact in the final 25 games for the Cougar, posting averages of 12.2 points, 4.6 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)