Apr 3, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Kentucky enters the the Final Four as the lowest seed remaining. While the Wildcats are two wins away from the program’s ninth National Title — the second in three years under head coach John Calipari — Big Blue Nation has already secured a top spot this April.
On Thursday, Rupp Arena, named after Kentucky’s legendary coach, was called the best arena in college basketball, according to a complete list of all 351 Division I teams from StadiumJourney.com. Rounding out the list at No. 351 is Reitz Arena, home to Loyola (MD).
According to the site, constructing this list was a four-year process, using the following criteria:
Our reviews are based on several categories including: food & beverage in the arena, the overall atmosphere, the neighborhood in which the arena resides, the fans, the access (including traffic, parking, restrooms, and ability to move around in the arena), overall return on investment, and a catchall category for any extras.
The site’s top 10 went accordingly:
1. Rupp Arena, Kentucky
2. Carrier Dome, Syracuse
3. FedEx Forum, Memphis
4. CenturyLink Center, Creighton
5. Dee Glen Smith Spectrum, Utah State
6. Phog Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas
7. Crisler Center, Michigan
8. The Pit, New Mexico
9. Dean E. Smith Center, North Carolina
10. Frank Erwin Special Events Center, Texas
It’s hard to argue with the history and tradition of Rupp Arena and the University of Kentucky. The list is very interesting, though. G.B. Hodge Center, home to USC Upstate, which is an arena smaller than some high school gymnasiums, was high in the rankings No. 15. The home court for Rutgers, Penn State and DePaul fell in order at 335, 336, and 337 on the list. Those three arenas were the lowest on the list for power conferences.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)