Apr 9, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The 2014 NCAA tournament is over, but before we officially move on to the 2014-2015 season, here is a quick look back at what was an outstanding three-week event:
FINAL FOUR: All Final Four coverage
NBCSports.com All-Tournament Team:
- Shabazz Napier, UConn
- Scottie Wilbekin, Florida
- DeAndre Daniels, UConn
- Julius Randle, Kentucky
- Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin
Best Individual Performance:
1. Xavier Thames, San Diego State vs. North Dakota State: Thames had 30 points and eight assists and, at one point, was responsible for 46 of the Aztecs’ first 55 points.
2. Adreian Payne, Michigan State vs. Delaware: Payne had 41 points on 10-for-15 shooting as the Spartans beat Delaware in the opening round.
3. Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin vs. Arizona: The 28 points and 11 boards that Kaminsky put on Arizona is the sole reason the Badgers are in the Final Four.
4. Cleanthony Early, Wichita State vs. Kentucky: Early had 31 points, hitting big shot after big shot, but it wasn’t enough to get the Shockers past the Wildcats.
5. DeAndre Daniels, UConn vs. Iowa State: Daniels scored 27 points and grabbed 10 rebounds while helping to force Melvin Ejim to miss ten of his first 11 shots as the Huskies advanced.
6. Bryce Cotton, Providence vs. North Carolina: Cotton had 36 points and eight assists, but the Friars got bounced in the opening round.
7. Shabazz Napier, UConn vs. Villanova: Shabazz finished with 25 points on 9-for-13 shooting, playing through a bad ankle and a bruised shin.
- 1. Mercer’s Nae-Nae
- 2a. Carlin Dupree’s surprise performance
- 2b. NDSU’s postgame
- 3a. Greg McDermott’s postgame speech
- 3b. Saul Phillips postgame speech
- 4. Aaron Harrison’s shot vs. Michigan
- 5. Fred Hoiberg’s dance
- 6. Blown charge calls against Jarnell Stokes and Nick Johnson
- 7. N.C. State’s collapse vs. Saint Louis
1a. Aaron Harrison vs. Michigan:
1b. Aaron Harrison vs. Wisconsin
2. Desmond Hayman vs. VCU:
3. Lawrence Alexander vs. Oklahoma:
4. DeAndre Kane vs. North Carolina:
5. Amida Brimah vs. St. Joseph’s:
6. Cameron Ridley vs. Arizona State:
7. Vee Sanford vs. Dayton:
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 31
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (31)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)