Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
With starter Sam Dower Jr. out of eligibility, Gonzaga was in a position where another front court body wouldn’t hurt matters as they look to make yet another NCAA tournament appearance in 2015. Thursday it was reported by multiple outlets and later announced by the school itself that 6-foot-10 forward Domantas Sabonis will join the program next season.
Sabonis, the son of Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis, played this past season with Unicaja Malaga in the Spanish Liga ACB but did not sign a professional contract in order to preserve his college eligibility. Sabonis averaged 2.8 points and 2.4 rebounds in just over ten minutes of action per game in Liga ACB action, shooting 47.7% from the field.
Sabonis also played in 19 Euroleague (European basketball’s answer to the Champions League) games, posting averages of 2.7 points and 2.0 rebounds per game.
“[Domantas] is a skilled basketball player who should have an immediate impact on our program,” Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said in the school release. “We’re excited to have the opportunity to allow him to continue his development as a basketball player while continuing his education.”
Few also noted in the release that 7-footer Ryan Edwards, who was a freshman this past season, is hoping to redshirt this season.
Sabonis joins a front court rotation that will include returning starter Przemek Karnowski, Kentucky transfer Kyle Wiltjer, who’s now eligible after sitting out last season per NCAA transfer rules, Angel Nuñez and Lucas Meikle. He’s also the fourth member of Gonzaga’s 2014 recruiting class (not counting Wiltjer), with guards Brian Alberts, Silas Melson and Josh Perkins being the other three signees.
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)