Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EST
On the heels of a 24-win season in which Green Bay won the Horizon League regular season title and appeared in the Postseason NIT, head coach Brian Wardle has received a new five-year contract. The news was announced by the school Thursday afternoon, and in four seasons at the helm Wardle has a record of 70-56.
“A Horizon League Championship, a 24-win season, Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and postseason play certainly elevated Phoenix men’s basketball this year, and I am thrilled Brian and his staff will continue to lead our men as we strive to get to the next level,” Green Bay AD Mary-Ellen Gillespie stated in the release.
The Phoenix will have to account for the loss of three seniors led by 7-foot-1 forward/center Alec Brown, but four of their top five scorers from the 2013-14 season will return led by guard Keifer Sykes. Sykes averaged 20.3 points, 4.8 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game as a junior, earning Horizon League Player of the Year honors.
Green Bay’s regular season title was their first league crown since 1995-96, and the Phoenix played in a postseason tournament for the second consecutive season. Green Bay participated in the CIT in 2013.
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (7)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (6)