Aug 24, 2014, 1:31 PM EST
In the first day he was allowed to recruit following a three-year NCAA show-cause, Bruce Pearl made quick work on the recruiting trail on Sunday as the new Tigers head coach landed four-star forward Horace Spencer. The news of Spencer’s commitment was first reported by Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog.
Pearl met with Spencer at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday morning, right as the Auburn coach’s penalty that forced him to not call recruits, coaches or parents was lifted. Spencer was on an official visit to Auburn and a lot of credit is certainly due to Auburn’s assistant coaches, who helped Pearl recruit when he couldn’t make contact with players.
The 6-foot-8 Spencer attends basketball powerhouse Findlay Prep and is a major grab for Auburn. The No. 73 prospect in the 2015 class, according to Rivals, is a good athlete with a high-running motor who should fit in well with Pearl’s system.
The commitment of Spencer gives Auburn two four-star commitments on the week as four-star wing forward Danjel Purifoy committed on Friday.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)