Aug 24, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
In the first day he was allowed to recruit following a three-year NCAA show-cause, Bruce Pearl made quick work on the recruiting trail on Sunday as the new Tigers head coach landed four-star forward Horace Spencer. The news of Spencer’s commitment was first reported by Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog.
Pearl met with Spencer at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday morning, right as the Auburn coach’s penalty that forced him to not call recruits, coaches or parents was lifted. Spencer was on an official visit to Auburn and a lot of credit is certainly due to Auburn’s assistant coaches, who helped Pearl recruit when he couldn’t make contact with players.
The 6-foot-8 Spencer attends basketball powerhouse Findlay Prep and is a major grab for Auburn. The No. 73 prospect in the 2015 class, according to Rivals, is a good athlete with a high-running motor who should fit in well with Pearl’s system.
The commitment of Spencer gives Auburn two four-star commitments on the week as four-star wing forward Danjel Purifoy committed on Friday.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)