Mar 23, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The implosion of the Wake Forest program continued on Friday.
A day after rising junior Carson Desrosiers decided to leave the program, rising sophomore point guard Anthony Fields has decided to transfer. On Tuesday, starting point guard and third-leading scorer Tony Chennault announced that he would be transferring.
For those scoring at home, in two years at the helm of the Demon Deacons, Jeff Bzdelik has won five ACC games and seen eight players leave his program. Currently on the Wake Forest roster? One senior, one junior, two sophomore and six freshmen. The only point guard they will have in the program next season will be four-star recruit Codi Miller-McIntyre.
That’s a problem.
It isn’t difficult to envision next season for the Demon Deacons: lot of losing, a lot of players unhappy with the losing, a lot of transfers after the season. It is a difficult cycle to break, especially considering Wake Forest isn’t even one of the top three programs in the ACC from the state of North Carolina.
At what point does the Wake Forest administration decide that they need to cut ties with Bzdelik? If they fired Dino Gaudio after just three years, two of which ended in the NCAA tournament, how much rope will Bzdelik get?
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)