Mar 23, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The implosion of the Wake Forest program continued on Friday.
A day after rising junior Carson Desrosiers decided to leave the program, rising sophomore point guard Anthony Fields has decided to transfer. On Tuesday, starting point guard and third-leading scorer Tony Chennault announced that he would be transferring.
For those scoring at home, in two years at the helm of the Demon Deacons, Jeff Bzdelik has won five ACC games and seen eight players leave his program. Currently on the Wake Forest roster? One senior, one junior, two sophomore and six freshmen. The only point guard they will have in the program next season will be four-star recruit Codi Miller-McIntyre.
That’s a problem.
It isn’t difficult to envision next season for the Demon Deacons: lot of losing, a lot of players unhappy with the losing, a lot of transfers after the season. It is a difficult cycle to break, especially considering Wake Forest isn’t even one of the top three programs in the ACC from the state of North Carolina.
At what point does the Wake Forest administration decide that they need to cut ties with Bzdelik? If they fired Dino Gaudio after just three years, two of which ended in the NCAA tournament, how much rope will Bzdelik get?
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)