Mar 23, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The implosion of the Wake Forest program continued on Friday.
A day after rising junior Carson Desrosiers decided to leave the program, rising sophomore point guard Anthony Fields has decided to transfer. On Tuesday, starting point guard and third-leading scorer Tony Chennault announced that he would be transferring.
For those scoring at home, in two years at the helm of the Demon Deacons, Jeff Bzdelik has won five ACC games and seen eight players leave his program. Currently on the Wake Forest roster? One senior, one junior, two sophomore and six freshmen. The only point guard they will have in the program next season will be four-star recruit Codi Miller-McIntyre.
That’s a problem.
It isn’t difficult to envision next season for the Demon Deacons: lot of losing, a lot of players unhappy with the losing, a lot of transfers after the season. It is a difficult cycle to break, especially considering Wake Forest isn’t even one of the top three programs in the ACC from the state of North Carolina.
At what point does the Wake Forest administration decide that they need to cut ties with Bzdelik? If they fired Dino Gaudio after just three years, two of which ended in the NCAA tournament, how much rope will Bzdelik get?
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)