Oct 14, 2012, 10:38 PM EST
This weekend turned out to be a successful one on the recruiting trail for Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton.
Just one day after high-scoring guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes verbally committed to the reigning ACC champions (the conference recognizes its tournament winner as the official champion), 6-9 power forward Jarquez Smith made his pledge as first reported by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
“The reason I liked them was the coaches, the academics, the atmosphere and the players,” Smith said. “Coach [Leonard] Hamilton wants me beacuse I can help score, bring energy and block shots.”
In his junior season at Jones County (GA) High School, Smith averaged 8.6 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.2 blocks per contest.
During the spring and summer Smith played with the Georgia Stars, averaging 7.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per contest in 17 Nike EYBL games.
Smith’s an athletic player who will fit in well with Florida State’s other front court players, which doesn’t have a single senior on this season’s roster.
(The Seminoles’ lone senior of note is shooting guard Michael Snaer.)
Terrance Shannon and Okaro White will both be seniors in 2013 while 7-footers Boris Bojanovsky and Michael Ojo will be sophomores, which will give Smith time to develop his game even more.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)