Oct 14, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
This weekend turned out to be a successful one on the recruiting trail for Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton.
Just one day after high-scoring guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes verbally committed to the reigning ACC champions (the conference recognizes its tournament winner as the official champion), 6-9 power forward Jarquez Smith made his pledge as first reported by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
“The reason I liked them was the coaches, the academics, the atmosphere and the players,” Smith said. “Coach [Leonard] Hamilton wants me beacuse I can help score, bring energy and block shots.”
In his junior season at Jones County (GA) High School, Smith averaged 8.6 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.2 blocks per contest.
During the spring and summer Smith played with the Georgia Stars, averaging 7.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per contest in 17 Nike EYBL games.
Smith’s an athletic player who will fit in well with Florida State’s other front court players, which doesn’t have a single senior on this season’s roster.
(The Seminoles’ lone senior of note is shooting guard Michael Snaer.)
Terrance Shannon and Okaro White will both be seniors in 2013 while 7-footers Boris Bojanovsky and Michael Ojo will be sophomores, which will give Smith time to develop his game even more.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)