Oct 14, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
This weekend turned out to be a successful one on the recruiting trail for Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton.
Just one day after high-scoring guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes verbally committed to the reigning ACC champions (the conference recognizes its tournament winner as the official champion), 6-9 power forward Jarquez Smith made his pledge as first reported by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
“The reason I liked them was the coaches, the academics, the atmosphere and the players,” Smith said. “Coach [Leonard] Hamilton wants me beacuse I can help score, bring energy and block shots.”
In his junior season at Jones County (GA) High School, Smith averaged 8.6 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.2 blocks per contest.
During the spring and summer Smith played with the Georgia Stars, averaging 7.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per contest in 17 Nike EYBL games.
Smith’s an athletic player who will fit in well with Florida State’s other front court players, which doesn’t have a single senior on this season’s roster.
(The Seminoles’ lone senior of note is shooting guard Michael Snaer.)
Terrance Shannon and Okaro White will both be seniors in 2013 while 7-footers Boris Bojanovsky and Michael Ojo will be sophomores, which will give Smith time to develop his game even more.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)