Oct 14, 2012, 10:38 PM EST
This weekend turned out to be a successful one on the recruiting trail for Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton.
Just one day after high-scoring guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes verbally committed to the reigning ACC champions (the conference recognizes its tournament winner as the official champion), 6-9 power forward Jarquez Smith made his pledge as first reported by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
“The reason I liked them was the coaches, the academics, the atmosphere and the players,” Smith said. “Coach [Leonard] Hamilton wants me beacuse I can help score, bring energy and block shots.”
In his junior season at Jones County (GA) High School, Smith averaged 8.6 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.2 blocks per contest.
During the spring and summer Smith played with the Georgia Stars, averaging 7.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per contest in 17 Nike EYBL games.
Smith’s an athletic player who will fit in well with Florida State’s other front court players, which doesn’t have a single senior on this season’s roster.
(The Seminoles’ lone senior of note is shooting guard Michael Snaer.)
Terrance Shannon and Okaro White will both be seniors in 2013 while 7-footers Boris Bojanovsky and Michael Ojo will be sophomores, which will give Smith time to develop his game even more.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)