Dec 14, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
School presidents of the Atlantic 10′s member programs will meet next Thursday to discuss the plan of action, considering reports that the seven Catholic schools of the Big East will split and create their own league, the New York Post is reporting.
With news of the Big East shift, the Atlantic 10 has come into the spotlight as a conference that could either absorb the Catholic Seven or lose some of its strongest programs to the new league. With the possibility of absorption looking less likely, news of the meeting isn’t unexpected.
Of the A-10′s member schools, Xavier, Saint Louis, Virginia Commonwealth, Butler, and Dayton have all been mentioned as schools that could join the Catholic Seven. A report from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggested that the Butler and Xavier move could already be all but formally announced.
The report from the Post quotes a source, saying that Saint Louis, Xavier, and Dayton already have “one foot out the door.”
That same report also mentions Creighton as a school that could join the Catholic Seven, becoming a midwest anchor for a possible “western division” of the as-of-yet unnamed conference.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner