Dec 14, 2012, 9:01 PM EST
School presidents of the Atlantic 10’s member programs will meet next Thursday to discuss the plan of action, considering reports that the seven Catholic schools of the Big East will split and create their own league, the New York Post is reporting.
With news of the Big East shift, the Atlantic 10 has come into the spotlight as a conference that could either absorb the Catholic Seven or lose some of its strongest programs to the new league. With the possibility of absorption looking less likely, news of the meeting isn’t unexpected.
Of the A-10’s member schools, Xavier, Saint Louis, Virginia Commonwealth, Butler, and Dayton have all been mentioned as schools that could join the Catholic Seven. A report from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggested that the Butler and Xavier move could already be all but formally announced.
The report from the Post quotes a source, saying that Saint Louis, Xavier, and Dayton already have “one foot out the door.”
That same report also mentions Creighton as a school that could join the Catholic Seven, becoming a midwest anchor for a possible “western division” of the as-of-yet unnamed conference.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)