Dec 14, 2012, 9:01 PM EST
School presidents of the Atlantic 10′s member programs will meet next Thursday to discuss the plan of action, considering reports that the seven Catholic schools of the Big East will split and create their own league, the New York Post is reporting.
With news of the Big East shift, the Atlantic 10 has come into the spotlight as a conference that could either absorb the Catholic Seven or lose some of its strongest programs to the new league. With the possibility of absorption looking less likely, news of the meeting isn’t unexpected.
Of the A-10′s member schools, Xavier, Saint Louis, Virginia Commonwealth, Butler, and Dayton have all been mentioned as schools that could join the Catholic Seven. A report from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggested that the Butler and Xavier move could already be all but formally announced.
The report from the Post quotes a source, saying that Saint Louis, Xavier, and Dayton already have “one foot out the door.”
That same report also mentions Creighton as a school that could join the Catholic Seven, becoming a midwest anchor for a possible “western division” of the as-of-yet unnamed conference.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)