Jan 5, 2013, 1:01 AM EST
Games of the Day
Memphis 85, Tennessee 80: Even if this game were a blowout it would still probably be the game of the day because as many of you know by now this could be the last time these two in-state rivals play their annual game in a while. The contract is up at the end of the year, but both ADs are discussing extending it. Either way, Memphis, lead by Joe Jackson used a strong offensive first half to jump out to a double-digit lead. Tennessee, led by Jordan McRae, chipped away at the lead, but the deficit was too much.
Memphis earns non-conference win: Sticking in the state of Tennessee, Memphis enters Conference-USA play with a much-needed quality out of conference win. The Tigers looked awful in November, losing back-to-back games against VCU and Minnesota as part of the Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas and later lost to Louisville. The play of Jackson should give Josh Pastner and Memphis some optimism heading forward.
Rhode Island beats in-state opponent: Last week, the last-game 3-pointer from Tucker Halpern lifted Brown over Providence. Dan Hurley and his Rams avoided surrendering the tiny state of Rhode Island to the Bears with 59-47 win. Halpern was held to four points, while Xavier Munford had a game-high 18 for URI.
Valparaiso gets first conference win: Valpo started off conference play with a loss to Loyola (Ill.). The Crusaders bounced back with a 24-point win over Cleveland State. Valparaiso needed the win if they want to stick around with Detroit this season. Valparaiso visits Detriot Jan. 17.
Joe Jackson, Memphis: When he plays well, so do the Tigers. He ended the night with 20 points, seven assists, and four rebounds and got his teammates open looks by hitting the gaps and getting into the lane. Memphis won 85-80 over Tennessee.
Jordan McRae, Tennessee: In an offensive that struggled, McRae almost tripled his scoring average (10.3) with a game-high 26 points in a loss to Memphis.
O.D. Anosike, Siena: The Saints may be 2-12, but Anosike continued to make double-doubles part of his daily routine. Eleven of 14 games, the 6-foot-8 forward has recorded double figures in both points and rebounds. In a 66-62 loss to Iona, the senior forward ended with 19 points and 15 boards. He is averaging 13 and 12 on the season.
Grambling State: No luck again Friday night, as the Tigers dropped the 11th straight game to open the season. The 69-56 loss to Alabama State (4-11) puts Grambling State at 0-2 to start SWAC play.
St. Peter’s execution: The Peacocks cut the deficit to 55-53 against Manhattan with two minutes to go. And that ended up the final score. Yvon Raymond missed a pair of free throws with a minute to go. Desi Washington had one shot blocked and missed a 3-pointer at the end of the game.
Marshall Henderson Shot-Tracker: A relatively quiet night for Mr. Henderson. The 3-point gunner only took eight shots from behind the arc, which is the second-lowest total he has had this season (six against San Francisco and Hawaii).
Henderson connected on a trio of them, ending with a game-high 21 points for Ole Miss in a 95-68 win over Fordham #ShootMoreMarshall
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)