Jan 9, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
We all know that Aaron Craft and Deshaun Thomas run the show in Columbus, OH. But the major concern with the Buckeyes heading in to the season was if they would be able to get increased production from their key contributors like LaQuinton Ross, Lenzelle Smith Jr., Shannon Scott, Amir Williams, Evan Ravenel and Sam Thompson. All six of them are talented enough to be significant contributors on a nightly basis for an elite team.
Through 15 games, the Buckeyes stand at 12-3, but have yet to find consistent production from their role players.
Sam Thompson has scored ten or more in four games this season, but failed to do so in all three of the Buckeyes losses. But while his scoring output remains somewhat inconsistent, there is something that Thompson does better than anyone on the team, and he does it on a frequent basis.
Sam Thompson can dunk. Really, REALLY well.
The kid has bounce. Hops. Springs. Bunnies. Gittup. Whatever you want to call it, the 6-foot-7 sophomore has it, and he loves to show it off.
The only problem is, when he shows off, somebody has to be on the receiving end. Last night, that poor bloke was Purdue’s A.J. Hammons.
The 7-foot freshman is averaging a respectable 1.6-bpg, but got caught up in the moment and made a rookie mistake. Unfortunately, when you make a rookie mistake trying to block one of the best leapers in the game, your rookie mistake gets synced on highlight reels for the rest of the season.
(Video Courtesy of The Big Ten Network)
Sorry A.J., but you brought this upon yourself. Well, no not really, Sam Thompson did. But you allowed it to happen.
You can find Troy Machir on Twitter at @TroyMachir
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights