Jan 9, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
We all know that Aaron Craft and Deshaun Thomas run the show in Columbus, OH. But the major concern with the Buckeyes heading in to the season was if they would be able to get increased production from their key contributors like LaQuinton Ross, Lenzelle Smith Jr., Shannon Scott, Amir Williams, Evan Ravenel and Sam Thompson. All six of them are talented enough to be significant contributors on a nightly basis for an elite team.
Through 15 games, the Buckeyes stand at 12-3, but have yet to find consistent production from their role players.
Sam Thompson has scored ten or more in four games this season, but failed to do so in all three of the Buckeyes losses. But while his scoring output remains somewhat inconsistent, there is something that Thompson does better than anyone on the team, and he does it on a frequent basis.
Sam Thompson can dunk. Really, REALLY well.
The kid has bounce. Hops. Springs. Bunnies. Gittup. Whatever you want to call it, the 6-foot-7 sophomore has it, and he loves to show it off.
The only problem is, when he shows off, somebody has to be on the receiving end. Last night, that poor bloke was Purdue’s A.J. Hammons.
The 7-foot freshman is averaging a respectable 1.6-bpg, but got caught up in the moment and made a rookie mistake. Unfortunately, when you make a rookie mistake trying to block one of the best leapers in the game, your rookie mistake gets synced on highlight reels for the rest of the season.
(Video Courtesy of The Big Ten Network)
Sorry A.J., but you brought this upon yourself. Well, no not really, Sam Thompson did. But you allowed it to happen.
You can find Troy Machir on Twitter at @TroyMachir
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)