Jan 11, 2013, 5:33 PM EST
During the fall semester, Ben Howland and his UCLA program saw two players transfer. In a span of 10 days, each of those players have found new homes.
Last Wednesday, junior center Josh Smith announced he will join Georgetown for his final season of eligibility. Friday evening, junior guard Tyler Lamb made his decision and will transfer to Long Beach State. Lamb posted his decision on his Twitter account just after 5 p.m.
He picked the 49ers over San Diego State. The 6-foot-5 Lamb elected to transfer back in November.
“I would like to thank the University, Coach Howland and his staff for the unparalleled opportunity to have been a part of UCLA’s program,” Lamb said in a release on Nov. 25. “However, I believe that it is in my best interest to find a new destination where I can continue to grow, both as a person and as a basketball player. I am eternally grateful to my coaches and teammates for everything they have given me, and I wish them the best going forward. I plan on enrolling in a new educational institution by next semester, and I have not yet determined my schools of interest.”
As a sophomore Lamb averaged 9.0 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 2.8 assists per game. Lamb underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in October, which sidelined him for six weeks.
He only appeared the Bruins’ season opener this season, scoring four points with three rebounds and a pair of assists in 14 minutes of action in a 86-59 win over Indiana State.
Lamb played only one game this season, so it will be interesting to see if he and Long Beach State try to get that year back. If Lamb cannot, he will have a year and a half of eligibility remaining and can play for the 49ers as early as the second semester of the 2013-2014 season (late December).
I want to thank both Long beach st nd SDSU for riding this whole process out with me.. With that being said, i will be a Long Beach St. 49er
— Tyler Lamb (@LamboMars) January 11, 2013
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)