Mar 3, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
In one of the most improbable and stunning buzzer beaters you will ever see, New Rochelle (N.Y) defeated Mount Vernon (N.Y.), 61-60, on a three-quarter court heave at the horn to win the New York Section 1 AA Basketball title.
(CLICK HERE: To see video of another buzzer-beater in the NEPSAC title game)
Down by two points with 2.9 seconds left, New Rochelle in-bounded but the pass was intercepted. A Mount Vernon defender attempted to throw the ball in the air to bleed the clock out, but that was intercepted by New Rochelle senior Khalil Edney, who heaved it up and nailed the shot as time expired.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The amazing shot wouldn’t have happened if New Rochelle hadn’t outscored Mount Vernon 8-1 in the previous 2:42. Mount Vernon scored just one point in the final 3:52.
It was New Rochelle first Section 1 Class AA title since 2005. And your trivia nugget for that team? Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was their point guard.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)