Mar 3, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
In one of the most improbable and stunning buzzer beaters you will ever see, New Rochelle (N.Y) defeated Mount Vernon (N.Y.), 61-60, on a three-quarter court heave at the horn to win the New York Section 1 AA Basketball title.
(CLICK HERE: To see video of another buzzer-beater in the NEPSAC title game)
Down by two points with 2.9 seconds left, New Rochelle in-bounded but the pass was intercepted. A Mount Vernon defender attempted to throw the ball in the air to bleed the clock out, but that was intercepted by New Rochelle senior Khalil Edney, who heaved it up and nailed the shot as time expired.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The amazing shot wouldn’t have happened if New Rochelle hadn’t outscored Mount Vernon 8-1 in the previous 2:42. Mount Vernon scored just one point in the final 3:52.
It was New Rochelle first Section 1 Class AA title since 2005. And your trivia nugget for that team? Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was their point guard.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)