Mar 3, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
In one of the most improbable and stunning buzzer beaters you will ever see, New Rochelle (N.Y) defeated Mount Vernon (N.Y.), 61-60, on a three-quarter court heave at the horn to win the New York Section 1 AA Basketball title.
(CLICK HERE: To see video of another buzzer-beater in the NEPSAC title game)
Down by two points with 2.9 seconds left, New Rochelle in-bounded but the pass was intercepted. A Mount Vernon defender attempted to throw the ball in the air to bleed the clock out, but that was intercepted by New Rochelle senior Khalil Edney, who heaved it up and nailed the shot as time expired.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The amazing shot wouldn’t have happened if New Rochelle hadn’t outscored Mount Vernon 8-1 in the previous 2:42. Mount Vernon scored just one point in the final 3:52.
It was New Rochelle first Section 1 Class AA title since 2005. And your trivia nugget for that team? Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was their point guard.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)