Mar 3, 2013, 4:19 PM EST
In one of the most improbable and stunning buzzer beaters you will ever see, New Rochelle (N.Y) defeated Mount Vernon (N.Y.), 61-60, on a three-quarter court heave at the horn to win the New York Section 1 AA Basketball title.
(CLICK HERE: To see video of another buzzer-beater in the NEPSAC title game)
Down by two points with 2.9 seconds left, New Rochelle in-bounded but the pass was intercepted. A Mount Vernon defender attempted to throw the ball in the air to bleed the clock out, but that was intercepted by New Rochelle senior Khalil Edney, who heaved it up and nailed the shot as time expired.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The amazing shot wouldn’t have happened if New Rochelle hadn’t outscored Mount Vernon 8-1 in the previous 2:42. Mount Vernon scored just one point in the final 3:52.
It was New Rochelle first Section 1 Class AA title since 2005. And your trivia nugget for that team? Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was their point guard.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)