Mar 3, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
In one of the most improbable and stunning buzzer beaters you will ever see, New Rochelle (N.Y) defeated Mount Vernon (N.Y.), 61-60, on a three-quarter court heave at the horn to win the New York Section 1 AA Basketball title.
(CLICK HERE: To see video of another buzzer-beater in the NEPSAC title game)
Down by two points with 2.9 seconds left, New Rochelle in-bounded but the pass was intercepted. A Mount Vernon defender attempted to throw the ball in the air to bleed the clock out, but that was intercepted by New Rochelle senior Khalil Edney, who heaved it up and nailed the shot as time expired.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The amazing shot wouldn’t have happened if New Rochelle hadn’t outscored Mount Vernon 8-1 in the previous 2:42. Mount Vernon scored just one point in the final 3:52.
It was New Rochelle first Section 1 Class AA title since 2005. And your trivia nugget for that team? Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was their point guard.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)