May 2, 2013, 11:28 PM EDT
In the latest news regarding the Rutgers basketball program a sixth player has requested to be released from his scholarship while one who already received his release has decided to stay.
Sophomore forward Derrick Randall has requested a release from his scholarship according to the New York Post, and the move will make Rutgers even more inexperienced inside next season.
Randall played just 8.2 minutes per game last season but saw action in 26 of the Scarlet Knights’ 31 games, averaging 2.1 points and 1.5 rebounds per contest. With the graduation of Austin Johnson, the 6-8 Randall may have been in position to earn more minutes in 2013-14.
Randall joins Eli Carter (committed to Florida), Mike Poole (Iona), Jerome Seagears (Auburn) and Vincent Garrett on the list of players who have elected to leave Piscataway. With that being five players, what happened to the sixth to ask for his release?
According to head coach Eddie Jordan, 6-5 wing Malick Kone has changed his mind and decided to remain at Rutgers.
Kone, who averaged 2.3 points and 2.0 rebounds per game last season, requested his release before the scandal that ultimately led to the firing of former head coach Mike Rice.
“Malick will be back. Malick is coming back. We officially lost (Jerome) Seagears, (Eli) Carter and (Mike) Poole,’’ said Jordan according to Brian Lewis of the Post. “Not officially lost [Garrett], but he wants to leave. He asked for his release and Derrick asked for his release.’’
This news comes just one day after 2013 power forward Junior Etou verbally committed to attend Rutgers next year.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)