May 2, 2013, 11:28 PM EST
In the latest news regarding the Rutgers basketball program a sixth player has requested to be released from his scholarship while one who already received his release has decided to stay.
Sophomore forward Derrick Randall has requested a release from his scholarship according to the New York Post, and the move will make Rutgers even more inexperienced inside next season.
Randall played just 8.2 minutes per game last season but saw action in 26 of the Scarlet Knights’ 31 games, averaging 2.1 points and 1.5 rebounds per contest. With the graduation of Austin Johnson, the 6-8 Randall may have been in position to earn more minutes in 2013-14.
Randall joins Eli Carter (committed to Florida), Mike Poole (Iona), Jerome Seagears (Auburn) and Vincent Garrett on the list of players who have elected to leave Piscataway. With that being five players, what happened to the sixth to ask for his release?
According to head coach Eddie Jordan, 6-5 wing Malick Kone has changed his mind and decided to remain at Rutgers.
Kone, who averaged 2.3 points and 2.0 rebounds per game last season, requested his release before the scandal that ultimately led to the firing of former head coach Mike Rice.
“Malick will be back. Malick is coming back. We officially lost (Jerome) Seagears, (Eli) Carter and (Mike) Poole,’’ said Jordan according to Brian Lewis of the Post. “Not officially lost [Garrett], but he wants to leave. He asked for his release and Derrick asked for his release.’’
This news comes just one day after 2013 power forward Junior Etou verbally committed to attend Rutgers next year.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)