May 25, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
We just found out that Mike Krzyzewski will continue to shepherd America’s elite international basketball squad. Amid a tacit assertion of predictability in the coaching ranks, Coach K paid lip service to the notion that it’s time for USA Basketball to physically move out of its current offices in Colorado Springs.
“I think in the near future you’re going to hear announcements about moving USA Basketball and it’s going to be a big complex in another part of the country,” Krzyzewski stated in his Thursday press conference.
Colorado Springs is the seat of the USOC’s administrative offices and training facilities, and USA Basketball has been there since 1979. There has long been talk of moving the premiere hoops team out of the modest facilities there. Plans to build a massive new facility in Glenwood, Arizona fell through in 2008 when the economy tanked, but the powers that be have continued to look for a new location.
The Duke Basketball Report recently fantasized that the facility could possibly relocate closer to the Raleigh-Durham area, which isn’t a terrible idea, but doesn’t seem particularly likely as a long-term solution, given that national team head honcho Jerry Colangelo lives in Arizona. Still, expect the bids to come in from around the country if Team USA is serious about moving out. A fancy new basketball facility and LeBron James hanging out in your town? You should be so lucky.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)