May 25, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
We just found out that Mike Krzyzewski will continue to shepherd America’s elite international basketball squad. Amid a tacit assertion of predictability in the coaching ranks, Coach K paid lip service to the notion that it’s time for USA Basketball to physically move out of its current offices in Colorado Springs.
“I think in the near future you’re going to hear announcements about moving USA Basketball and it’s going to be a big complex in another part of the country,” Krzyzewski stated in his Thursday press conference.
Colorado Springs is the seat of the USOC’s administrative offices and training facilities, and USA Basketball has been there since 1979. There has long been talk of moving the premiere hoops team out of the modest facilities there. Plans to build a massive new facility in Glenwood, Arizona fell through in 2008 when the economy tanked, but the powers that be have continued to look for a new location.
The Duke Basketball Report recently fantasized that the facility could possibly relocate closer to the Raleigh-Durham area, which isn’t a terrible idea, but doesn’t seem particularly likely as a long-term solution, given that national team head honcho Jerry Colangelo lives in Arizona. Still, expect the bids to come in from around the country if Team USA is serious about moving out. A fancy new basketball facility and LeBron James hanging out in your town? You should be so lucky.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)