May 25, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
We just found out that Mike Krzyzewski will continue to shepherd America’s elite international basketball squad. Amid a tacit assertion of predictability in the coaching ranks, Coach K paid lip service to the notion that it’s time for USA Basketball to physically move out of its current offices in Colorado Springs.
“I think in the near future you’re going to hear announcements about moving USA Basketball and it’s going to be a big complex in another part of the country,” Krzyzewski stated in his Thursday press conference.
Colorado Springs is the seat of the USOC’s administrative offices and training facilities, and USA Basketball has been there since 1979. There has long been talk of moving the premiere hoops team out of the modest facilities there. Plans to build a massive new facility in Glenwood, Arizona fell through in 2008 when the economy tanked, but the powers that be have continued to look for a new location.
The Duke Basketball Report recently fantasized that the facility could possibly relocate closer to the Raleigh-Durham area, which isn’t a terrible idea, but doesn’t seem particularly likely as a long-term solution, given that national team head honcho Jerry Colangelo lives in Arizona. Still, expect the bids to come in from around the country if Team USA is serious about moving out. A fancy new basketball facility and LeBron James hanging out in your town? You should be so lucky.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)