May 25, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
We just found out that Mike Krzyzewski will continue to shepherd America’s elite international basketball squad. Amid a tacit assertion of predictability in the coaching ranks, Coach K paid lip service to the notion that it’s time for USA Basketball to physically move out of its current offices in Colorado Springs.
“I think in the near future you’re going to hear announcements about moving USA Basketball and it’s going to be a big complex in another part of the country,” Krzyzewski stated in his Thursday press conference.
Colorado Springs is the seat of the USOC’s administrative offices and training facilities, and USA Basketball has been there since 1979. There has long been talk of moving the premiere hoops team out of the modest facilities there. Plans to build a massive new facility in Glenwood, Arizona fell through in 2008 when the economy tanked, but the powers that be have continued to look for a new location.
The Duke Basketball Report recently fantasized that the facility could possibly relocate closer to the Raleigh-Durham area, which isn’t a terrible idea, but doesn’t seem particularly likely as a long-term solution, given that national team head honcho Jerry Colangelo lives in Arizona. Still, expect the bids to come in from around the country if Team USA is serious about moving out. A fancy new basketball facility and LeBron James hanging out in your town? You should be so lucky.
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)