Jun 5, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
One day after reports that former Missouri guard Michael Dixon Jr. would join the Memphis program proved to be a bit premature, Jason King of ESPN.com confirmed with Dixon that he will be a Tiger next season.
The news was confirmed by L. Jason Smith of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.
As a junior Dixon averaged 13.5 points per game and was named Big 12 Sixth Man of the Year, seemingly setting himself up for a very good season season in 2012-13. But off-court issues ultimately led to Missouri head coach Frank Haith dismissing Dixon from the program.
The senior guard had twice been accused of sexual assault, though, he was not charged in either incident. Dixon will apply for a waiver from the NCAA that will allow him to play right away when he chooses a school for next season. His family is hoping he can get granted a waiver similar to the one Maryland’s Dez Wells received following his exit from Xavier.
If the request for a waiver is granted, Dixon makes Memphis even deeper (and experienced) on the perimeter. Head coach Josh Pastner already has Chris Crawford, Joe Jackson and Geron Johnson returning in 2013-14, and there are also newcomers Markel Crawford and RaShawn “Pookie” Powell to be considered.
Dixon’s arrival gives Memphis another guard who can play either on or off the basketball, and his ability to do so was an important factor in Missouri’s 30-win 2011-12 campaign.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)