Jul 5, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
On Tuesday it was announced that 6-4 shooting guard Donte Clark was denied admission to Virginia Tech, leaving head coach James Johnson one man short in his quest to account for the graduation of ACC Player of the Year Erick Green.
Johnson’s loss became Derek Kellogg’s gain, as it was reported by Justin Byerly of CarolinaPreps.com that Clark will attend UMass. However, Kellogg may not get to place Clark in the perimeter rotation right away.
According to Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette, Clark will likely attend UMass as a non-qualifier, meaning that he would have to sit out the 2013-14 season. When news broke that Clark was denied admission to Virginia Tech, it was noted that he had yet to get through the NCAA’s initial eligibility clearinghouse.
But even if Clark has to sit UMass won’t lack for options on the perimeter, with point guards Chaz Williams and Trey Davis and shooting guards Derrick Gordon and Demetrius Dyson on the roster. And in Gordon, the Minutemen have a versatile guard capable of having an immediate impact.
After transferring in from Western Kentucky, Gordon sat out last season per NCAA transfer rules. In his lone season as a Hilltopper, Gordon averaged 11.8 points and 6.7 rebounds per game on a team that got hot at the right time following a coaching change to reach the NCAA tournament.
Inside the Minutemen are experienced, with Sampson Carter, Raphiael Putney, Maxie Esho and Cady Lalanne all being upperclassmen.
And if UMass fans want to look to the 2014 campaign, Williams would be the only departure on the perimeter (Carter and Putney will be gone, too) with West Virginia transfer Jabarie Hinds ready to slide into that spot and Clark being eligible as well.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)