Jul 5, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
On Tuesday it was announced that 6-4 shooting guard Donte Clark was denied admission to Virginia Tech, leaving head coach James Johnson one man short in his quest to account for the graduation of ACC Player of the Year Erick Green.
Johnson’s loss became Derek Kellogg’s gain, as it was reported by Justin Byerly of CarolinaPreps.com that Clark will attend UMass. However, Kellogg may not get to place Clark in the perimeter rotation right away.
According to Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette, Clark will likely attend UMass as a non-qualifier, meaning that he would have to sit out the 2013-14 season. When news broke that Clark was denied admission to Virginia Tech, it was noted that he had yet to get through the NCAA’s initial eligibility clearinghouse.
But even if Clark has to sit UMass won’t lack for options on the perimeter, with point guards Chaz Williams and Trey Davis and shooting guards Derrick Gordon and Demetrius Dyson on the roster. And in Gordon, the Minutemen have a versatile guard capable of having an immediate impact.
After transferring in from Western Kentucky, Gordon sat out last season per NCAA transfer rules. In his lone season as a Hilltopper, Gordon averaged 11.8 points and 6.7 rebounds per game on a team that got hot at the right time following a coaching change to reach the NCAA tournament.
Inside the Minutemen are experienced, with Sampson Carter, Raphiael Putney, Maxie Esho and Cady Lalanne all being upperclassmen.
And if UMass fans want to look to the 2014 campaign, Williams would be the only departure on the perimeter (Carter and Putney will be gone, too) with West Virginia transfer Jabarie Hinds ready to slide into that spot and Clark being eligible as well.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)