Jul 5, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
On Tuesday it was announced that 6-4 shooting guard Donte Clark was denied admission to Virginia Tech, leaving head coach James Johnson one man short in his quest to account for the graduation of ACC Player of the Year Erick Green.
Johnson’s loss became Derek Kellogg’s gain, as it was reported by Justin Byerly of CarolinaPreps.com that Clark will attend UMass. However, Kellogg may not get to place Clark in the perimeter rotation right away.
According to Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette, Clark will likely attend UMass as a non-qualifier, meaning that he would have to sit out the 2013-14 season. When news broke that Clark was denied admission to Virginia Tech, it was noted that he had yet to get through the NCAA’s initial eligibility clearinghouse.
But even if Clark has to sit UMass won’t lack for options on the perimeter, with point guards Chaz Williams and Trey Davis and shooting guards Derrick Gordon and Demetrius Dyson on the roster. And in Gordon, the Minutemen have a versatile guard capable of having an immediate impact.
After transferring in from Western Kentucky, Gordon sat out last season per NCAA transfer rules. In his lone season as a Hilltopper, Gordon averaged 11.8 points and 6.7 rebounds per game on a team that got hot at the right time following a coaching change to reach the NCAA tournament.
Inside the Minutemen are experienced, with Sampson Carter, Raphiael Putney, Maxie Esho and Cady Lalanne all being upperclassmen.
And if UMass fans want to look to the 2014 campaign, Williams would be the only departure on the perimeter (Carter and Putney will be gone, too) with West Virginia transfer Jabarie Hinds ready to slide into that spot and Clark being eligible as well.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4