Sep 1, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
Following an official visit to Champaign, Ill. this weekend, White Station High (Tenn.) forward Leron Black, a top-25 recruit in the Class of 2014, committed to John Groce and the Illinois Fighting Illini.
Marcus Jackson of the News-Gazette, reported the news first.
“Before I came here this weekend, I knew Illinois is where I wanted to be,” Black told Jackson on Sunday. “The Illinois coaching staff is amazing, the campus was amazing and I feel like I’m going to grow here as a player and a person and spiritually. I feel like I can trust the coaches. I believe in them and this is the right spot.”
In September, the Memphis native committed to Baylor, though, decommitted in January after feeling that he had rushed his decision. The 6-foot-7 Black became one of the top players being sought after this summer, gaining interest from powerhouses such as Indiana, Louisville and Ohio State. In mid-August, cut his list of possible suitors to four — Baylor, Illinois, Indiana and Tennessee.
His visit to Illinois was one of the three official visits he had previously scheduled. He was going to had to Baylor this upcoming a weekend — one week after Apple Valley High (Minn.) point guard Tyus Jones and Whitney Young (Ill.) center Jahlil Okafor were in Waco — followed by a trip to Bloomington on Sept. 20.
The five-star forward, ranked No. 22 in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, joins Centennial High (Ill.) forward Michael Finke in Illinois’ Class of 2014.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)