Sep 1, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings and Vanderbilt received the first commit in the Class of 2014. St. Joseph’s High (N.J.) senior shooting guard Wade Baldwin announced that he had verbally committed to the Commodores on Sunday morning.
Baldwin had been on an official visit to the Nashville campus, and used his Twitter account to break the news. In early August, the 6-foot-3 shooting guard cut his list of offers to five: Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Vanderbilt and Virginia Tech.
It appears that Vanderbilt’s hiring of former Harvard assistant coach Yanni Hufnagel is paying dividends. The Crimson had offered the New Jersey native in July 2012, and some recruiting insiders believe he helped sway Baldwin to the Commodores.
This addition should bring optimism to a Vandy program that was looking for some this summer. Once sophomore guard Kevin Bright elected to turn pro in July, Stallings’ entire 2012 recruiting class had left the program. Vanderbilt has a two-man class beginning this season, which includes four-star center Damian Jones.
Baldwin, ranked No. 177 overall in the Class of 2014, is high school teammates with Kentucky commit Karl Towns.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015’s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)