Tom Izzo instructs Michigan State student section to leave Spartan Stadium during lightning delay (VIDEO)
Sep 8, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
The students of Michigan State University have great love and respect for head coach Tom Izzo. So when a good portion of the student section refused to exit Spartan Stadium during a lightning delay before the South Florida-MSU game on Saturday, it was Izzo who got on the field, microphone in hand, as the voice of reason.
Izzo informed the students that it wasn’t safe to remain in the stands, pointing to the “putrid yellow” that reminded him of Michigan appearing on the weather radar. He pleaded with the fans to leave, and promised to sit in the middle of the section when they returned. And when the game did get underway, he made good on his end of the deal.
This latest interaction between the coach and fans will serve as a warm up for what will likely be another great entrance Izzo will make at Sparty’s midnight madness in a few weeks.
Michigan State defeated South Florida 21-6, by the way.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)