Tom Izzo instructs Michigan State student section to leave Spartan Stadium during lightning delay (VIDEO)
Sep 8, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
The students of Michigan State University have great love and respect for head coach Tom Izzo. So when a good portion of the student section refused to exit Spartan Stadium during a lightning delay before the South Florida-MSU game on Saturday, it was Izzo who got on the field, microphone in hand, as the voice of reason.
Izzo informed the students that it wasn’t safe to remain in the stands, pointing to the “putrid yellow” that reminded him of Michigan appearing on the weather radar. He pleaded with the fans to leave, and promised to sit in the middle of the section when they returned. And when the game did get underway, he made good on his end of the deal.
This latest interaction between the coach and fans will serve as a warm up for what will likely be another great entrance Izzo will make at Sparty’s midnight madness in a few weeks.
Michigan State defeated South Florida 21-6, by the way.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 3
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 10
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)