Tom Izzo instructs Michigan State student section to leave Spartan Stadium during lightning delay (VIDEO)
Sep 8, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
The students of Michigan State University have great love and respect for head coach Tom Izzo. So when a good portion of the student section refused to exit Spartan Stadium during a lightning delay before the South Florida-MSU game on Saturday, it was Izzo who got on the field, microphone in hand, as the voice of reason.
Izzo informed the students that it wasn’t safe to remain in the stands, pointing to the “putrid yellow” that reminded him of Michigan appearing on the weather radar. He pleaded with the fans to leave, and promised to sit in the middle of the section when they returned. And when the game did get underway, he made good on his end of the deal.
This latest interaction between the coach and fans will serve as a warm up for what will likely be another great entrance Izzo will make at Sparty’s midnight madness in a few weeks.
Michigan State defeated South Florida 21-6, by the way.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)