Sep 14, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
This week Whitney Young (Ill.) center Jahlil Okafor made his second official visit after spending a weekend at Baylor at the end of August. The top senior in the nation was at Kentucky along with several other highly-touted prospects in the Class of 2014 and 2015 on Monday night.
Okafor was one of more than 19,000 fans inside Rupp Arena for the UK Alumni Charity Game, which brought back the likes of John Wall, Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Following his short stay in Lexington, Okafor’s father told Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal, that his son enjoyed his time in Big Blue Nation.
“It was a great visit, and we had a good time,” Chukwudi Okafor told Jones on Tuesday. “We got to see the facilities, got to meet all the coaching staff, talked to some of the players. We got to see the alumni game. It was a great experience, and we took a lot of information away.”
Other UK 2014 targets such as Moss Point High (Miss.) shooting guard Devin Booker and Marian Catholic (Ill.) point guard Tyler Ulis were both in Lexington for Monday’s game along with Okafor. On Friday, Ulis committed to Kentucky, providing Coach Cal with a floor general who will likely stay longer than his usual one-and-done point guards. Two weeks ago in a phone interview with the Courier-Journal, the newest UK commit believed that Okafor’s potential package deal with Apple Valley High (Minn.) point guard will happen.
“I think him and Tyus have a really good bond, and they’re probably going to go to the same college,” Ulis told Jones. “It would be good to go to school with Jahlil, but I think him and Tyus are going to go to the same school.”
Of course, Ulis could be predicting a different outcome now that he’ll be enrolling at Kentucky next year. According to Okafor’s father, these two are good friends as well.
Okafor has three more official visits lined up at Arizona, Duke and Kansas. The five-star center will be in Lawrence on Oct. 18 and Durham on Oct. 25, accompanied by Tyus Jones on both those trips.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)