Sep 18, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
The 2015-16 season is well off in the distance, meaning that things can change, but the last two days have been very good for the UCF basketball program on the recruiting trail.
One day after landing a verbal commitment from 6-8 power forward Alex Owens, UCF received one from 6-2 guard Corey Sanders Wednesday afternoon. Sanders, who attends IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., made his decision official via his Twitter account.
Sanders attended McKeel Academy in Lakeland, Fla. last season, with his decision to transfer to IMG influenced in part by the decision of McKeel teammate and fellow 2015 prospect Dwayne Bacon to make the same move. McKeel reached the regional semifinals of the Class 3A Florida state tournament last season.
Sanders’ decision to commit to UCF is an important one for head coach Donnie Jones, who will lost Calvin Newell at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season with Daiquan Walker and Matt Williams on track to be seniors when 2015 rolls around. But with there only being so much depth chart studying that can be done in regards to a verbal commit who won’t be on campus for another two seasons, the aspect that will have UCF fans excited about the news is that they’ve added Top 100 players on consecutive days.
Has the move to the American Athletic Conference boosted UCF’s profile when it comes to recruiting some of the most talented players in the state of Florida? While the majority of the programs in the conference were in Conference USA with UCF, it doesn’t hurt to be able to sell the fact that the Knights share a conference with storied programs such as UConn and Cincinnati (as well as Memphis).
Adding Sanders to the fold certainly helps UCF as it looks to develop into a contender in the American. Below are a few highlights of the athletic Sanders in action.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)