Sep 18, 2013, 5:50 PM EST
The 2015-16 season is well off in the distance, meaning that things can change, but the last two days have been very good for the UCF basketball program on the recruiting trail.
One day after landing a verbal commitment from 6-8 power forward Alex Owens, UCF received one from 6-2 guard Corey Sanders Wednesday afternoon. Sanders, who attends IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., made his decision official via his Twitter account.
Sanders attended McKeel Academy in Lakeland, Fla. last season, with his decision to transfer to IMG influenced in part by the decision of McKeel teammate and fellow 2015 prospect Dwayne Bacon to make the same move. McKeel reached the regional semifinals of the Class 3A Florida state tournament last season.
Sanders’ decision to commit to UCF is an important one for head coach Donnie Jones, who will lost Calvin Newell at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season with Daiquan Walker and Matt Williams on track to be seniors when 2015 rolls around. But with there only being so much depth chart studying that can be done in regards to a verbal commit who won’t be on campus for another two seasons, the aspect that will have UCF fans excited about the news is that they’ve added Top 100 players on consecutive days.
Has the move to the American Athletic Conference boosted UCF’s profile when it comes to recruiting some of the most talented players in the state of Florida? While the majority of the programs in the conference were in Conference USA with UCF, it doesn’t hurt to be able to sell the fact that the Knights share a conference with storied programs such as UConn and Cincinnati (as well as Memphis).
Adding Sanders to the fold certainly helps UCF as it looks to develop into a contender in the American. Below are a few highlights of the athletic Sanders in action.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)