Oct 21, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Marquette will begin the 2013-2014 season without freshman point guard Duane Wilson, the team announced Monday evening.
“Wilson has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his left leg and will be evaluated on a consistent basis, but is expected to miss multiple weeks during the rehabilitation process,” a statement read, which was posted on the team’s Facebook page.
The 6-foot-2 Wilson was one of four, four-star commits in Marquette’s incoming class. With the freshman point guard sidelined, Buzz Williams only has two of those four-star recruits on the active roster. On Thursday, JuCo transfer Jameel McKay announced that he decided to leave the program.
Wilson was expected to play an important role in his first season with the Marquette back court looking much different than a season ago without Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Trent Lockett. Returner Derrick Wilson will run the offense with fellow junior Todd Mayo is also returning in the Marquette back court. The Golden Eagles will also get contributions from freshmen JuJuan Johnson and Deonte Burton. John Dawson, another 6-foot-2 freshman point guard, could also see minutes behind Derrick Wilson with Duane Wilson out injured.
Marquette is ranked No. 14 in the NBCSports.com Top 25. The Golden Eagles begin the season on Nov. 8 against reigning SWAC champion Southern.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)