Oct 21, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Marquette will begin the 2013-2014 season without freshman point guard Duane Wilson, the team announced Monday evening.
“Wilson has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his left leg and will be evaluated on a consistent basis, but is expected to miss multiple weeks during the rehabilitation process,” a statement read, which was posted on the team’s Facebook page.
The 6-foot-2 Wilson was one of four, four-star commits in Marquette’s incoming class. With the freshman point guard sidelined, Buzz Williams only has two of those four-star recruits on the active roster. On Thursday, JuCo transfer Jameel McKay announced that he decided to leave the program.
Wilson was expected to play an important role in his first season with the Marquette back court looking much different than a season ago without Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Trent Lockett. Returner Derrick Wilson will run the offense with fellow junior Todd Mayo is also returning in the Marquette back court. The Golden Eagles will also get contributions from freshmen JuJuan Johnson and Deonte Burton. John Dawson, another 6-foot-2 freshman point guard, could also see minutes behind Derrick Wilson with Duane Wilson out injured.
Marquette is ranked No. 14 in the NBCSports.com Top 25. The Golden Eagles begin the season on Nov. 8 against reigning SWAC champion Southern.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)