Oct 21, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Marquette will begin the 2013-2014 season without freshman point guard Duane Wilson, the team announced Monday evening.
“Wilson has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his left leg and will be evaluated on a consistent basis, but is expected to miss multiple weeks during the rehabilitation process,” a statement read, which was posted on the team’s Facebook page.
The 6-foot-2 Wilson was one of four, four-star commits in Marquette’s incoming class. With the freshman point guard sidelined, Buzz Williams only has two of those four-star recruits on the active roster. On Thursday, JuCo transfer Jameel McKay announced that he decided to leave the program.
Wilson was expected to play an important role in his first season with the Marquette back court looking much different than a season ago without Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Trent Lockett. Returner Derrick Wilson will run the offense with fellow junior Todd Mayo is also returning in the Marquette back court. The Golden Eagles will also get contributions from freshmen JuJuan Johnson and Deonte Burton. John Dawson, another 6-foot-2 freshman point guard, could also see minutes behind Derrick Wilson with Duane Wilson out injured.
Marquette is ranked No. 14 in the NBCSports.com Top 25. The Golden Eagles begin the season on Nov. 8 against reigning SWAC champion Southern.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)