Oct 21, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Marquette will begin the 2013-2014 season without freshman point guard Duane Wilson, the team announced Monday evening.
“Wilson has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his left leg and will be evaluated on a consistent basis, but is expected to miss multiple weeks during the rehabilitation process,” a statement read, which was posted on the team’s Facebook page.
The 6-foot-2 Wilson was one of four, four-star commits in Marquette’s incoming class. With the freshman point guard sidelined, Buzz Williams only has two of those four-star recruits on the active roster. On Thursday, JuCo transfer Jameel McKay announced that he decided to leave the program.
Wilson was expected to play an important role in his first season with the Marquette back court looking much different than a season ago without Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Trent Lockett. Returner Derrick Wilson will run the offense with fellow junior Todd Mayo is also returning in the Marquette back court. The Golden Eagles will also get contributions from freshmen JuJuan Johnson and Deonte Burton. John Dawson, another 6-foot-2 freshman point guard, could also see minutes behind Derrick Wilson with Duane Wilson out injured.
Marquette is ranked No. 14 in the NBCSports.com Top 25. The Golden Eagles begin the season on Nov. 8 against reigning SWAC champion Southern.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)