Nov 1, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
Guard Zay Jackson was a player many expected to eventually help the Murray State basketball program account for the graduation of prolific point guard Isaiah Canaan. After playing 18.4 minutes per game as a freshman, the 2012-13 season was supposed to represent one more season of playing alongside Canaan while having a larger role in Steve Prohm’s system.
But then the September 2012 incident, in which Jackson hit two bystanders with his car in a Walmart parking lot, occurred. For the crime Jackson would spend 49 days in jail, with Murray State making the decision to reinstate him during the offseason. That new beginning turned into a nightmare for Jackson however, as he suffered a torn ACL and LCL in early October that ruled him out for the entire 2013-14 season.
On Wednesday the school announced that Jackson has decided to transfer at the end of the current semester.
“I want to thank Coach Prohm for giving me an opportunity to play basketball at Murray State, and for his support during my time as a Racer,” Jackson said. “With my injury causing me to miss a second season now, I just believe a fresh start would be good for me.”
Prior to the knee injury Jackson was expected to be the Racers’ best player this season, and even after his season came to an end there was the belief that Jackson would be able to help his teammates from the sidelines. But apparently it all proved to be too much for Jackson, resulting in his decision to transfer in hopes of getting a fresh start.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)