Nov 1, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
Guard Zay Jackson was a player many expected to eventually help the Murray State basketball program account for the graduation of prolific point guard Isaiah Canaan. After playing 18.4 minutes per game as a freshman, the 2012-13 season was supposed to represent one more season of playing alongside Canaan while having a larger role in Steve Prohm’s system.
But then the September 2012 incident, in which Jackson hit two bystanders with his car in a Walmart parking lot, occurred. For the crime Jackson would spend 49 days in jail, with Murray State making the decision to reinstate him during the offseason. That new beginning turned into a nightmare for Jackson however, as he suffered a torn ACL and LCL in early October that ruled him out for the entire 2013-14 season.
On Wednesday the school announced that Jackson has decided to transfer at the end of the current semester.
“I want to thank Coach Prohm for giving me an opportunity to play basketball at Murray State, and for his support during my time as a Racer,” Jackson said. “With my injury causing me to miss a second season now, I just believe a fresh start would be good for me.”
Prior to the knee injury Jackson was expected to be the Racers’ best player this season, and even after his season came to an end there was the belief that Jackson would be able to help his teammates from the sidelines. But apparently it all proved to be too much for Jackson, resulting in his decision to transfer in hopes of getting a fresh start.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)