Nov 5, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Our Savior New American School (N.Y.) guard Damon Wilson became the first commit in Pittsburgh’s Class of 2015.
Wilson gave his verbal commitment to Jamie Dixon on Monday night, and by Tuesday morning, his coach Eric Jaklitsch announced the news. The 6-foot-4 guard is rated as a four-star prospect by Rivals and had offers from Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech among others.
“It is simple, Brandin Knight made Damon a priority, made it clear that he was an important piece for the Pitt program, came to see him, had him down to campus,” Jaklitsch told Paul Zeise of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Tuesday after the commitment was announced. “You add that, to the fact that Pitt is a great program and plays in the ACC, the best league in the country, and it was clear this is where he wanted to be and that’s why he told Jamie Dixon Monday, he was committing.
“To learn from a guy like that, and also, get an opportunity to play with James Robinson, who will be one of the best point guards in the country in two years.”
Wilson is known as as pass-first point guard — who could grow to 6-foot-6 — playing on a very talented high school team, which includes 2015 power forward Cheick Diallo, who is ranked No. 8 overall in that class by Rivals.
Over the summer, Dixon landed his first commit of his 2016 class in Lincoln Park High (Pa.) shooting guard Maverick Rowan. A pair of small forwards currently make up the current incoming class. Ryan Luther of Hampton High School (Pa.) commited two weeks ago while Sheldon Jeter, who transferred from Vanderbilt, but will join Pitt after he spends one semester at Polk State College (Fla.)
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 2
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 3
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)