Nov 5, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Our Savior New American School (N.Y.) guard Damon Wilson became the first commit in Pittsburgh’s Class of 2015.
Wilson gave his verbal commitment to Jamie Dixon on Monday night, and by Tuesday morning, his coach Eric Jaklitsch announced the news. The 6-foot-4 guard is rated as a four-star prospect by Rivals and had offers from Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech among others.
“It is simple, Brandin Knight made Damon a priority, made it clear that he was an important piece for the Pitt program, came to see him, had him down to campus,” Jaklitsch told Paul Zeise of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Tuesday after the commitment was announced. “You add that, to the fact that Pitt is a great program and plays in the ACC, the best league in the country, and it was clear this is where he wanted to be and that’s why he told Jamie Dixon Monday, he was committing.
“To learn from a guy like that, and also, get an opportunity to play with James Robinson, who will be one of the best point guards in the country in two years.”
Wilson is known as as pass-first point guard — who could grow to 6-foot-6 — playing on a very talented high school team, which includes 2015 power forward Cheick Diallo, who is ranked No. 8 overall in that class by Rivals.
Over the summer, Dixon landed his first commit of his 2016 class in Lincoln Park High (Pa.) shooting guard Maverick Rowan. A pair of small forwards currently make up the current incoming class. Ryan Luther of Hampton High School (Pa.) commited two weeks ago while Sheldon Jeter, who transferred from Vanderbilt, but will join Pitt after he spends one semester at Polk State College (Fla.)
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)