Nov 5, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Our Savior New American School (N.Y.) guard Damon Wilson became the first commit in Pittsburgh’s Class of 2015.
Wilson gave his verbal commitment to Jamie Dixon on Monday night, and by Tuesday morning, his coach Eric Jaklitsch announced the news. The 6-foot-4 guard is rated as a four-star prospect by Rivals and had offers from Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech among others.
“It is simple, Brandin Knight made Damon a priority, made it clear that he was an important piece for the Pitt program, came to see him, had him down to campus,” Jaklitsch told Paul Zeise of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Tuesday after the commitment was announced. “You add that, to the fact that Pitt is a great program and plays in the ACC, the best league in the country, and it was clear this is where he wanted to be and that’s why he told Jamie Dixon Monday, he was committing.
“To learn from a guy like that, and also, get an opportunity to play with James Robinson, who will be one of the best point guards in the country in two years.”
Wilson is known as as pass-first point guard — who could grow to 6-foot-6 — playing on a very talented high school team, which includes 2015 power forward Cheick Diallo, who is ranked No. 8 overall in that class by Rivals.
Over the summer, Dixon landed his first commit of his 2016 class in Lincoln Park High (Pa.) shooting guard Maverick Rowan. A pair of small forwards currently make up the current incoming class. Ryan Luther of Hampton High School (Pa.) commited two weeks ago while Sheldon Jeter, who transferred from Vanderbilt, but will join Pitt after he spends one semester at Polk State College (Fla.)
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)