Jan 10, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
On Wednesday it was announced that Vanderbilt guard Eric McClellan was suspended for the remainder of the season due to a violation of university athletic policy, with the thinking being that he would be able to do enough to earn reinstatement during the summer. However in a statement released by the school, McClellan was officially dismissed from the program on Friday morning.
In making the decision, the school cited new information that came to light on Wednesday evening after the original punishment was announced.
Eric McClellan was dismissed from the Vanderbilt basketball team today by Coach Kevin Stallings. McClellan will not be a part of the program in the future, based upon newly discovered information that came to light Wednesday evening.
McClellan averaged 14.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game in 12 games this season, his first for the program after transferring in from Tulsa. With McClellan now no longer in the Commodores’ plans and Kyle Fuller out of eligibility at the conclusion of this season, the guards in Vanderbilt’s 2014 recruiting class (Wade Baldwin, Matthew Fisher-Davis and Riley LaChance) will have the opportunity to earn playing time upon their arrival on campus.
Having McClellan would have provided a buffer of sorts, an experienced voice to help tutor those young prospects. With that no longer being the case, that trio will likely be asked to do more alongside Dai-Jon Parker and Kedren Johnson, with the latter expected to return after being suspended for the entire 2013-14 season.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)