Jan 10, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
On Wednesday it was announced that Vanderbilt guard Eric McClellan was suspended for the remainder of the season due to a violation of university athletic policy, with the thinking being that he would be able to do enough to earn reinstatement during the summer. However in a statement released by the school, McClellan was officially dismissed from the program on Friday morning.
In making the decision, the school cited new information that came to light on Wednesday evening after the original punishment was announced.
Eric McClellan was dismissed from the Vanderbilt basketball team today by Coach Kevin Stallings. McClellan will not be a part of the program in the future, based upon newly discovered information that came to light Wednesday evening.
McClellan averaged 14.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game in 12 games this season, his first for the program after transferring in from Tulsa. With McClellan now no longer in the Commodores’ plans and Kyle Fuller out of eligibility at the conclusion of this season, the guards in Vanderbilt’s 2014 recruiting class (Wade Baldwin, Matthew Fisher-Davis and Riley LaChance) will have the opportunity to earn playing time upon their arrival on campus.
Having McClellan would have provided a buffer of sorts, an experienced voice to help tutor those young prospects. With that no longer being the case, that trio will likely be asked to do more alongside Dai-Jon Parker and Kedren Johnson, with the latter expected to return after being suspended for the entire 2013-14 season.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)