Feb 16, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
It worked for the Boston Red Sox this fall. This winter and spring Louisville will look to replicate the success of the beard.
The Cardinals are riding a three-game winning streak, and until they lose again, players and coaches will refrain from shaving.
“We all said, ‘Let’s have some fun. Let’s grow beards until we lose,'” Louisville head coach Rick Pitino said. “It’s the first time in my life that I’m trying to grow a beard, and it’s the first time I’ve looked in the mirror and seen multifaceted hair coming in, different colors. We want to have some fun right now, so we’re going to do that and hopefully we can get on a little streak and grow some full beards.
“We just decided that the other day because last year Luke [Hancock] did it and Stephan Van Treese, and I said, ‘We’re all going to do it this year. Let’s see what type of streak we can get on.’ … Everybody, even Father Bradley.”
It was at this point last year when Louisville went on a 16-game winning streak en route to a national championship. During that streak, the Cards had to defeat two ranked opponents to wrap up the regular season. This time around Louisville will have to go through four Top 25 teams — Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU and UConn — before the start of the American Athletic Conference tournament.
Not confident this streak will stretch quite as long as it did in 2013, but for the time being it will be fun to see Pitino sport some facial hair. In the past, he’s proven to be a man of his word.
[h/t The Dagger]
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)