Feb 16, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
It worked for the Boston Red Sox this fall. This winter and spring Louisville will look to replicate the success of the beard.
The Cardinals are riding a three-game winning streak, and until they lose again, players and coaches will refrain from shaving.
“We all said, ‘Let’s have some fun. Let’s grow beards until we lose,'” Louisville head coach Rick Pitino said. “It’s the first time in my life that I’m trying to grow a beard, and it’s the first time I’ve looked in the mirror and seen multifaceted hair coming in, different colors. We want to have some fun right now, so we’re going to do that and hopefully we can get on a little streak and grow some full beards.
“We just decided that the other day because last year Luke [Hancock] did it and Stephan Van Treese, and I said, ‘We’re all going to do it this year. Let’s see what type of streak we can get on.’ … Everybody, even Father Bradley.”
It was at this point last year when Louisville went on a 16-game winning streak en route to a national championship. During that streak, the Cards had to defeat two ranked opponents to wrap up the regular season. This time around Louisville will have to go through four Top 25 teams — Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU and UConn — before the start of the American Athletic Conference tournament.
Not confident this streak will stretch quite as long as it did in 2013, but for the time being it will be fun to see Pitino sport some facial hair. In the past, he’s proven to be a man of his word.
[h/t The Dagger]
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)