Feb 28, 2014, 3:16 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Oregon 87, UCLA 83 (2OT)
With UCLA playing without the suspended Kyle Anderson and Jordan Adams, it seemed as if Oregon was well-positioned to earn a win that they needed to improve their NCAA tournament hopes. Of course the game supplied more drama than many anticipated, with Bryce Alford scoring 31 points and David Wear forcing overtime with a three-pointer as time expired. Oregon would eventually get the win with Mike Moser accounting for 12 points, 20 rebounds and five assists and Joseph Young scoring 26 points.
1) Arkansas 71, No. 17 Kentucky 67 (OT)
The Razorbacks got themselves a quality road win on Thursday night, beating the Wildcats in Lexington with both teams struggling to execute down the stretch. But all that matters is the result, and the sweep of the regular season series could be what puts Mike Anderson’s team in the NCAA tournament. Kentucky’s starting perimeter of James Young and the Harrison twins shot a combined 11-for-39 from the field, and this was a big reason why Arkansas won despite committing 20 turnovers.
2) Indiana 93, No. 20 Iowa 86
For the third consecutive game the Hawkeyes struggled defensively, and as a result Fran McCaffery’s team has now lost three straight. Will Sheehey scored 19 of his 30 points in the first half to lead Indiana, and in the second half a 27-4 edge in bench points made the difference. How long Iowa stays in the NCAA tournament will depend on their ability to defend, something they must get better at in the coming weeks.
3) Duquesne 71, No. 10 Saint Louis 64
Micah Mason scored 22 points and Jerry Jones added 19 off the bench to lead the Dukes to the upset win at Saint Louis. The result ended the Billikens’ 19-game win streak two days ahead of their showdown at VCU, and it’s possible that Jim Crews’ team was caught looking ahead. SLU turned the ball over 16 times and shot 4-for-23 from beyond the arc, and they’ll need to be better in both areas on Saturday afternoon.
1) Patrick Miller (Tennessee State)
Miller scored 38 points and grabbed five rebounds in the Tigers’ 70-68 win at Morehead State. Miller’s final points of the night came on a three-pointer with two seconds remaining to give TSU the win.
2) Ledrick Eackles (McNeese State)
31 points (10-for-17 FG), six rebounds and five assists in the Cowboys’ 87-72 win over Incarnate Word.
3) Jordan Reed (Binghamton)
Reed accounted for 33 points (10-for-19 FG) and 13 rebounds in the Bearcats’ 89-83 overtime loss at Hartford.
1) Earl Brown and Greg Brown (St. Francis-PA)
The two starters (unrelated) combined to score two points on 0-for-14 shooting from the field in the Red Flash’s 74-45 loss at Wagner.
2) Middle Tennessee
The Blue Raiders were on the wrong end of 55-39 loss at Louisiana Tech, shooting 35.4% from the field and finishing with more turnovers (19) than made field goals (17).
3) Memphis’ starting backcourt
Chris Crawford, Joe Jackson and Geron Johnson combined to shoot 4-for-15 in the Tigers’ 77-68 loss at Houston.
- D.J. Newbill scored 23 points and Tim Frazier added 16 as Penn State beat No. 22 Ohio State 65-63. The win gave the Nittany Lions a sweep of the season series.
- There will be a new champion in the NEC as Central Connecticut State beat LIU Brooklyn 86-82 in overtime, eliminating the Blackbirds from contention for a spot in the conference tournament.
- The top two teams in the Atlantic Sun both fell, with Lipscomb whipping FGCU 92-71 and Mercer dropping a 79-76 overtime decision to North Florida.
- Wins by Southern Miss (beat FIU), Louisiana Tech (Middle Tennessee) and Tulsa (UTEP) forced a four-way tie for first place in Conference USA, with UTEP sitting a game behind the group.
- VCU used a 51-point second half to pull away from Fordham, beating the Rams 85-66 in the Bronx. Juvonte Reddic led the way with 22 points and 12 rebounds.
- Luke Apfeld led five players in double figures with 14 points as Vermont beat Stony Brook 69-53, wrapping up the America East regular season title.
- Davidson also clinched a regular season title, wrapping up the SoCon crown with a 79-46 win over UNCG. Brian Sullivan and Tyler Kalinoski combined to score 33 points off the bench for the winners.
- Green Bay wrapped up the Horizon League title with a 71-63 win at Oakland, outscoring the Golden Grizzlies 40-19 in the second half.
- Siena upset Quinnipiac 72-70 in Hamden, moving into sole possession of fifth place in the MAAC and moving closer to earning the final first-round bye in the conference tournament.
- UC Irvine grabbed sole possession of first place in the Big West with a 71-60 win over UCSB.
- Gonzaga wrapped up the outright WCC regular season title with a 70-53 win over Pacific. Drew Barham scored 17 points for the Bulldogs.
- Utah Valley took a step towards the WAC regular season title, beating New Mexico State 66-61 in overtime. However a post game fight has taken attention away from the result for the Wolverines.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 7 Louisville 88, Temple 66
- Houston 77, No. 21 Memphis 68
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)