Mar 6, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Maryland’s 64-47 win over Virginia Tech on Tuesday night was full of positives, with one notable exception: sophomore forward Charles Mitchell did not play in the second half after getting into a heated exchange with assistant coach Scott Spinelli.
Head coach Mark Turgeon asked Mitchell to return to the locker room, with the forward returning to the bench halfway through the second half with special assistant Juan Dixon.
On Thursday it was reported by Daniel Martin of CSN Baltimore that Mitchell, whose status for Sunday’s game against No. 5 Virginia was unknown, will face no further punishment and is allowed to play. According to the report the player and head coach discussed the matter on Thursday.
The original meeting between Turgeon and Mitchell to discuss the issue was scheduled for Wednesday, but the head coach was on the road recruiting. Thus, the meeting was pushed to Thursday.
Mitchell has been a solid reserve for the Terrapins this season, posting averages of 6.8 points and 6.5 rebounds in nearly 19 minutes of action per game. However in the first meeting between the Terrapins and Cavaliers, a 61-53 Virginia win on February 10, Mitchell was relatively quiet with two points and five rebounds in 23 minutes of action.
Mitchell’s scored in double figures three times in ACC play, most recently posting consecutive 12-point outings in games against Duke and Wake Forest in mid-February.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)