Mar 6, 2014, 6:50 PM EST
Maryland’s 64-47 win over Virginia Tech on Tuesday night was full of positives, with one notable exception: sophomore forward Charles Mitchell did not play in the second half after getting into a heated exchange with assistant coach Scott Spinelli.
Head coach Mark Turgeon asked Mitchell to return to the locker room, with the forward returning to the bench halfway through the second half with special assistant Juan Dixon.
On Thursday it was reported by Daniel Martin of CSN Baltimore that Mitchell, whose status for Sunday’s game against No. 5 Virginia was unknown, will face no further punishment and is allowed to play. According to the report the player and head coach discussed the matter on Thursday.
The original meeting between Turgeon and Mitchell to discuss the issue was scheduled for Wednesday, but the head coach was on the road recruiting. Thus, the meeting was pushed to Thursday.
Mitchell has been a solid reserve for the Terrapins this season, posting averages of 6.8 points and 6.5 rebounds in nearly 19 minutes of action per game. However in the first meeting between the Terrapins and Cavaliers, a 61-53 Virginia win on February 10, Mitchell was relatively quiet with two points and five rebounds in 23 minutes of action.
Mitchell’s scored in double figures three times in ACC play, most recently posting consecutive 12-point outings in games against Duke and Wake Forest in mid-February.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)