Mar 6, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Maryland’s 64-47 win over Virginia Tech on Tuesday night was full of positives, with one notable exception: sophomore forward Charles Mitchell did not play in the second half after getting into a heated exchange with assistant coach Scott Spinelli.
Head coach Mark Turgeon asked Mitchell to return to the locker room, with the forward returning to the bench halfway through the second half with special assistant Juan Dixon.
On Thursday it was reported by Daniel Martin of CSN Baltimore that Mitchell, whose status for Sunday’s game against No. 5 Virginia was unknown, will face no further punishment and is allowed to play. According to the report the player and head coach discussed the matter on Thursday.
The original meeting between Turgeon and Mitchell to discuss the issue was scheduled for Wednesday, but the head coach was on the road recruiting. Thus, the meeting was pushed to Thursday.
Mitchell has been a solid reserve for the Terrapins this season, posting averages of 6.8 points and 6.5 rebounds in nearly 19 minutes of action per game. However in the first meeting between the Terrapins and Cavaliers, a 61-53 Virginia win on February 10, Mitchell was relatively quiet with two points and five rebounds in 23 minutes of action.
Mitchell’s scored in double figures three times in ACC play, most recently posting consecutive 12-point outings in games against Duke and Wake Forest in mid-February.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)