Mar 6, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Maryland’s 64-47 win over Virginia Tech on Tuesday night was full of positives, with one notable exception: sophomore forward Charles Mitchell did not play in the second half after getting into a heated exchange with assistant coach Scott Spinelli.
Head coach Mark Turgeon asked Mitchell to return to the locker room, with the forward returning to the bench halfway through the second half with special assistant Juan Dixon.
On Thursday it was reported by Daniel Martin of CSN Baltimore that Mitchell, whose status for Sunday’s game against No. 5 Virginia was unknown, will face no further punishment and is allowed to play. According to the report the player and head coach discussed the matter on Thursday.
The original meeting between Turgeon and Mitchell to discuss the issue was scheduled for Wednesday, but the head coach was on the road recruiting. Thus, the meeting was pushed to Thursday.
Mitchell has been a solid reserve for the Terrapins this season, posting averages of 6.8 points and 6.5 rebounds in nearly 19 minutes of action per game. However in the first meeting between the Terrapins and Cavaliers, a 61-53 Virginia win on February 10, Mitchell was relatively quiet with two points and five rebounds in 23 minutes of action.
Mitchell’s scored in double figures three times in ACC play, most recently posting consecutive 12-point outings in games against Duke and Wake Forest in mid-February.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)