Apr 1, 2014, 4:37 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After to being linked to the vacant Boston College coaching job, Mark Schmidt has decided to remain as the head coach at St. Bonaventure, the school announced on Tuesday afternoon.
“We are thrilled that Mark has decided to continue as the head coach of our men’s basketball program,” St. Bonaventure Director of Athletics Steve Watson said in a statement. “He has done a remarkable job of building the program. We hope Mark will be our coach for a long time, and to that end, we have started discussions about an extension of our commitment to him.”
Schmidt will enter his eighth season with the Bonnies in 2014-2015.
“It is an honor to be the head coach at St. Bonaventure,” Schmidt said. “This is a fantastic University with passionate fans in a community my family and I are proud to call home.”
The Bonnies finished ninth in the Atlantic 10 with a 18-15 (6-10 A10) record this season. On Jan. 29, St. Bonaventure scored an upset over then-No. 21 UMass. Charlon Kloof gave the Bonnies a second upset victory on the year, defeating No. 18 Saint Louis, the top team in the conference, 71-68 in the Atlantic 10 Tournament quarterfinals.
The search goes for Boston College to replace Steve Donahue, who was fired on March 18 following an 8-23 (4-14 ACC) season. Harvard head coach Tommy Amaker and Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins have both removed themselves from consideration. According to Michael Vega of the Boston Globe, Ohio head coach Jim Christian has emerged as a strong candidate. Joe Dooley, a first-year head coach at Florida Gulf Coast and former Kansas assistant, is also being considered as a potential successor, per Jeff Goodman of ESPN.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)