Apr 1, 2014, 4:37 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After to being linked to the vacant Boston College coaching job, Mark Schmidt has decided to remain as the head coach at St. Bonaventure, the school announced on Tuesday afternoon.
“We are thrilled that Mark has decided to continue as the head coach of our men’s basketball program,” St. Bonaventure Director of Athletics Steve Watson said in a statement. “He has done a remarkable job of building the program. We hope Mark will be our coach for a long time, and to that end, we have started discussions about an extension of our commitment to him.”
Schmidt will enter his eighth season with the Bonnies in 2014-2015.
“It is an honor to be the head coach at St. Bonaventure,” Schmidt said. “This is a fantastic University with passionate fans in a community my family and I are proud to call home.”
The Bonnies finished ninth in the Atlantic 10 with a 18-15 (6-10 A10) record this season. On Jan. 29, St. Bonaventure scored an upset over then-No. 21 UMass. Charlon Kloof gave the Bonnies a second upset victory on the year, defeating No. 18 Saint Louis, the top team in the conference, 71-68 in the Atlantic 10 Tournament quarterfinals.
The search goes for Boston College to replace Steve Donahue, who was fired on March 18 following an 8-23 (4-14 ACC) season. Harvard head coach Tommy Amaker and Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins have both removed themselves from consideration. According to Michael Vega of the Boston Globe, Ohio head coach Jim Christian has emerged as a strong candidate. Joe Dooley, a first-year head coach at Florida Gulf Coast and former Kansas assistant, is also being considered as a potential successor, per Jeff Goodman of ESPN.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 15
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)