Apr 1, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After to being linked to the vacant Boston College coaching job, Mark Schmidt has decided to remain as the head coach at St. Bonaventure, the school announced on Tuesday afternoon.
“We are thrilled that Mark has decided to continue as the head coach of our men’s basketball program,” St. Bonaventure Director of Athletics Steve Watson said in a statement. “He has done a remarkable job of building the program. We hope Mark will be our coach for a long time, and to that end, we have started discussions about an extension of our commitment to him.”
Schmidt will enter his eighth season with the Bonnies in 2014-2015.
“It is an honor to be the head coach at St. Bonaventure,” Schmidt said. “This is a fantastic University with passionate fans in a community my family and I are proud to call home.”
The Bonnies finished ninth in the Atlantic 10 with a 18-15 (6-10 A10) record this season. On Jan. 29, St. Bonaventure scored an upset over then-No. 21 UMass. Charlon Kloof gave the Bonnies a second upset victory on the year, defeating No. 18 Saint Louis, the top team in the conference, 71-68 in the Atlantic 10 Tournament quarterfinals.
The search goes for Boston College to replace Steve Donahue, who was fired on March 18 following an 8-23 (4-14 ACC) season. Harvard head coach Tommy Amaker and Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins have both removed themselves from consideration. According to Michael Vega of the Boston Globe, Ohio head coach Jim Christian has emerged as a strong candidate. Joe Dooley, a first-year head coach at Florida Gulf Coast and former Kansas assistant, is also being considered as a potential successor, per Jeff Goodman of ESPN.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)