Apr 7, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
After a saga that included taking Manhattan to the NCAA Tournament, losing to former boss Rick Pitino, accepting the South Florida head coaching job and South Florida balking after finding out that he lied about his degree at Kentucky, it was announced Monday afternoon that the Jaspers would retain head coach Steve Masiello.
Masiello will keep his job and be on unpaid leave until he receives his degree according to a release from Manhattan. Associate head coach Matt Grady is the program’s interim head coach.
“I am extremely grateful and humbled by the opportunity to continue as the head men’s basketball coach at Manhattan College,” Masiello said in the release. “I made a mistake that could have cost me my job at an institution I love. Details matter. Manhattan College has shown me a great deal of compassion and trust during this process, and I will do everything in my power to uphold that trust. I understand that I am very fortunate to have the chance to remain here at Manhattan.”
Manhattan finished 25-8 on the season and lost to No. 4 seed Louisville in the Round of 64. Masiello owns a 60-39 career mark in three seasons in charge at Manhattan.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)