Apr 7, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
After a saga that included taking Manhattan to the NCAA Tournament, losing to former boss Rick Pitino, accepting the South Florida head coaching job and South Florida balking after finding out that he lied about his degree at Kentucky, it was announced Monday afternoon that the Jaspers would retain head coach Steve Masiello.
Masiello will keep his job and be on unpaid leave until he receives his degree according to a release from Manhattan. Associate head coach Matt Grady is the program’s interim head coach.
“I am extremely grateful and humbled by the opportunity to continue as the head men’s basketball coach at Manhattan College,” Masiello said in the release. “I made a mistake that could have cost me my job at an institution I love. Details matter. Manhattan College has shown me a great deal of compassion and trust during this process, and I will do everything in my power to uphold that trust. I understand that I am very fortunate to have the chance to remain here at Manhattan.”
Manhattan finished 25-8 on the season and lost to No. 4 seed Louisville in the Round of 64. Masiello owns a 60-39 career mark in three seasons in charge at Manhattan.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)