Apr 8, 2014, 12:02 AM EST
Hours before John Calipari led his Kentucky Wildcats into the 2014 National Title game a rumor surfaced via former UK star Rex Chapman, that would cause chaos in the coaching carousel.
Win or lose, Calipari would leave Lexington for Los Angeles and accept the Lakers head coaching job, according to Chapman.
Moments after a heartbreaking 60-54 loss to UConn, Calipari commented on any speculations that he will head back to the NBA.
In five seasons at Kentucky, Calipari has amassed a 152-37 record with three Final Four appearances and a National Title in 2012. The Lakers are 25-52 this season. While the current Kentucky coach is being linked to the Lakers’ job, the current Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni has reportedly been approached by a college program.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 2
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)