Apr 8, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Hours before John Calipari led his Kentucky Wildcats into the 2014 National Title game a rumor surfaced via former UK star Rex Chapman, that would cause chaos in the coaching carousel.
Win or lose, Calipari would leave Lexington for Los Angeles and accept the Lakers head coaching job, according to Chapman.
Moments after a heartbreaking 60-54 loss to UConn, Calipari commented on any speculations that he will head back to the NBA.
In five seasons at Kentucky, Calipari has amassed a 152-37 record with three Final Four appearances and a National Title in 2012. The Lakers are 25-52 this season. While the current Kentucky coach is being linked to the Lakers’ job, the current Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni has reportedly been approached by a college program.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)