Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
With leading scorers Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas leaving the program, first-year Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson certainly has room for players who have the ability to make an impact immediately. And after landing a commitment from one junior college guard in Torian Graham, Houston received another from Howard (Texas) JC guard Eric Weary.
Weary announced his decision via his Twitter account, and according to Joseph Duarte of the Houston Chronicle also received interest from schools such as Penn State, Oklahoma State, Western Kentucky and FIU.
“It’s a good opportunity,” Weary told the Houston Chronicle on Sunday. “The plan coach Sampson told me is interesting and the players he has coming in, we’re going to be a really good team.”
Weary averaged 13.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game this past season, scoring a season-high 27 in a win over McLennan CC on March 5. Weary spent a season at Howard after beginning his college career at New Mexico State.
Without House and Thomas, who combined to averaged 29.0 points per game last season, there will be opportunities for other players to step forward in Sampson’s debut season. The hope is that Weary and Graham will be among the options capable of doing so.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)