Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
With leading scorers Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas leaving the program, first-year Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson certainly has room for players who have the ability to make an impact immediately. And after landing a commitment from one junior college guard in Torian Graham, Houston received another from Howard (Texas) JC guard Eric Weary.
Weary announced his decision via his Twitter account, and according to Joseph Duarte of the Houston Chronicle also received interest from schools such as Penn State, Oklahoma State, Western Kentucky and FIU.
“It’s a good opportunity,” Weary told the Houston Chronicle on Sunday. “The plan coach Sampson told me is interesting and the players he has coming in, we’re going to be a really good team.”
Weary averaged 13.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game this past season, scoring a season-high 27 in a win over McLennan CC on March 5. Weary spent a season at Howard after beginning his college career at New Mexico State.
Without House and Thomas, who combined to averaged 29.0 points per game last season, there will be opportunities for other players to step forward in Sampson’s debut season. The hope is that Weary and Graham will be among the options capable of doing so.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)