Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
With leading scorers Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas leaving the program, first-year Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson certainly has room for players who have the ability to make an impact immediately. And after landing a commitment from one junior college guard in Torian Graham, Houston received another from Howard (Texas) JC guard Eric Weary.
Weary announced his decision via his Twitter account, and according to Joseph Duarte of the Houston Chronicle also received interest from schools such as Penn State, Oklahoma State, Western Kentucky and FIU.
“It’s a good opportunity,” Weary told the Houston Chronicle on Sunday. “The plan coach Sampson told me is interesting and the players he has coming in, we’re going to be a really good team.”
Weary averaged 13.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game this past season, scoring a season-high 27 in a win over McLennan CC on March 5. Weary spent a season at Howard after beginning his college career at New Mexico State.
Without House and Thomas, who combined to averaged 29.0 points per game last season, there will be opportunities for other players to step forward in Sampson’s debut season. The hope is that Weary and Graham will be among the options capable of doing so.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)