Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
With leading scorers Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas leaving the program, first-year Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson certainly has room for players who have the ability to make an impact immediately. And after landing a commitment from one junior college guard in Torian Graham, Houston received another from Howard (Texas) JC guard Eric Weary.
Weary announced his decision via his Twitter account, and according to Joseph Duarte of the Houston Chronicle also received interest from schools such as Penn State, Oklahoma State, Western Kentucky and FIU.
“It’s a good opportunity,” Weary told the Houston Chronicle on Sunday. “The plan coach Sampson told me is interesting and the players he has coming in, we’re going to be a really good team.”
Weary averaged 13.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game this past season, scoring a season-high 27 in a win over McLennan CC on March 5. Weary spent a season at Howard after beginning his college career at New Mexico State.
Without House and Thomas, who combined to averaged 29.0 points per game last season, there will be opportunities for other players to step forward in Sampson’s debut season. The hope is that Weary and Graham will be among the options capable of doing so.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)