Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Maria Shayok, a three-star small forward in the Class of 2014, has committed to Virginia.
This news came according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com, who tweeted the commitment on Tuesday night.
“Happy to announce I’ve committed to the University of Virginia!” Shayok tweeted.
Shayok, the 6-foot-6 Ottawa native originally committed to Buzz Williams and Marquette back on Oct. 17. Williams left for Virginia Tech, and 11 days ago, Shayok got his release from the university. Williams had previously stated Shayok would have an impact on the Golden Eagles next season.
He had offers from Cincinnati, Indiana, Minnesota and Providence but pledged to the reigning ACC regular and tournament champion. He becomes the fourth commit in Tony Bennett’s incoming class. He joins four-star shooting guard B.J. Stith from Oak Hill Academy (Va.), Greater Atlanta Christian (Ga.) power forward Isaiah Wilkins and Westlake Boys High center Jack Salt in Virginia’s Class of 2014.
Marquette’s recruiting class has dwindled down to just one: Seymour High (Wisc.) wing Sandy Cohen. Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce followed Williams to Virginia Tech.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)