Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Maria Shayok, a three-star small forward in the Class of 2014, has committed to Virginia.
This news came according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com, who tweeted the commitment on Tuesday night.
“Happy to announce I’ve committed to the University of Virginia!” Shayok tweeted.
Shayok, the 6-foot-6 Ottawa native originally committed to Buzz Williams and Marquette back on Oct. 17. Williams left for Virginia Tech, and 11 days ago, Shayok got his release from the university. Williams had previously stated Shayok would have an impact on the Golden Eagles next season.
He had offers from Cincinnati, Indiana, Minnesota and Providence but pledged to the reigning ACC regular and tournament champion. He becomes the fourth commit in Tony Bennett’s incoming class. He joins four-star shooting guard B.J. Stith from Oak Hill Academy (Va.), Greater Atlanta Christian (Ga.) power forward Isaiah Wilkins and Westlake Boys High center Jack Salt in Virginia’s Class of 2014.
Marquette’s recruiting class has dwindled down to just one: Seymour High (Wisc.) wing Sandy Cohen. Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce followed Williams to Virginia Tech.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)