Apr 29, 2014, 11:28 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel,click here.
Southern Miss has been in search for a new coach for more than a week, and according to a report on Tuesday night, the university has extended an offer to a potential successor.
Gary Parrish of CBS Sports is reporting that Stephen F. Austin head coach Brad Underwood has been offered the position. And while nothing has been even agreed upon, an announcement could be made as early as Wednesday, a source told Parrish.
After spending seven seasons as a Division I assistant coach at Kansas State and South Carolina, Underwood took over the Stephen F. Austin program in 2013. In his first season as a D1 head coach, he led the Lumberjacks to the Round of 32 in the 2014 NCAA Tournament, upsetting Shaka Smart and VCU in the South Region. Stephen F. Austin finished 32-3 (18-0 Southland), riding a 29-game winning streak that spanned almost four months.
Last Thursday, Parrish reported that Underwood was being targeted by Southern Miss, while Wichita State assistant Greg Heiar and Rick Stansbury, who coached Mississippi State from 1998-2012, were also viewed as possible candidates.
The Golden Eagles were the top team, in a four-way tie for first place, in Conference USA this past season with a 29-7 (13-3 CUSA) mark. On April 21, Donnie Tyndall accepted the Tennessee vacancy after Cuonzo Martin left to take over Cal.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)