Apr 29, 2014, 11:28 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel,click here.
Southern Miss has been in search for a new coach for more than a week, and according to a report on Tuesday night, the university has extended an offer to a potential successor.
Gary Parrish of CBS Sports is reporting that Stephen F. Austin head coach Brad Underwood has been offered the position. And while nothing has been even agreed upon, an announcement could be made as early as Wednesday, a source told Parrish.
After spending seven seasons as a Division I assistant coach at Kansas State and South Carolina, Underwood took over the Stephen F. Austin program in 2013. In his first season as a D1 head coach, he led the Lumberjacks to the Round of 32 in the 2014 NCAA Tournament, upsetting Shaka Smart and VCU in the South Region. Stephen F. Austin finished 32-3 (18-0 Southland), riding a 29-game winning streak that spanned almost four months.
Last Thursday, Parrish reported that Underwood was being targeted by Southern Miss, while Wichita State assistant Greg Heiar and Rick Stansbury, who coached Mississippi State from 1998-2012, were also viewed as possible candidates.
The Golden Eagles were the top team, in a four-way tie for first place, in Conference USA this past season with a 29-7 (13-3 CUSA) mark. On April 21, Donnie Tyndall accepted the Tennessee vacancy after Cuonzo Martin left to take over Cal.
- Perimeter shot selection will be key for Louisville moving forward 0
- Tyler Ulis proves he’s Kentucky’s best point guard in 58-50 win over Louisville 3
- Film Session: Louisville-Kentucky will be a Tale of Two (Different) Defenses 1
- WCC Midseason Catchup: No. 8 Gonzaga leads the way 0
- The top 15 most improved players in college basketball 3
- Late Night Snacks: George Washington wins the Diamond Head Classic 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Arizona Wildcats 2
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville (5)
- POSTERIZED: Don’t jump with Loyola Marymount’s Evan Payne like Ron Baker did (VIDEO) (3)
- Pregame Shootaround: Six Top 15 teams in action tonight (3)
- Rashard Kelly’s last-second putback gives No. 11 Wichita State an 80-79 overtime win over Hawaii (3)
- Jim Boeheim makes fun of his team … again (3)