Apr 29, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel,click here.
Southern Miss has been in search for a new coach for more than a week, and according to a report on Tuesday night, the university has extended an offer to a potential successor.
Gary Parrish of CBS Sports is reporting that Stephen F. Austin head coach Brad Underwood has been offered the position. And while nothing has been even agreed upon, an announcement could be made as early as Wednesday, a source told Parrish.
After spending seven seasons as a Division I assistant coach at Kansas State and South Carolina, Underwood took over the Stephen F. Austin program in 2013. In his first season as a D1 head coach, he led the Lumberjacks to the Round of 32 in the 2014 NCAA Tournament, upsetting Shaka Smart and VCU in the South Region. Stephen F. Austin finished 32-3 (18-0 Southland), riding a 29-game winning streak that spanned almost four months.
Last Thursday, Parrish reported that Underwood was being targeted by Southern Miss, while Wichita State assistant Greg Heiar and Rick Stansbury, who coached Mississippi State from 1998-2012, were also viewed as possible candidates.
The Golden Eagles were the top team, in a four-way tie for first place, in Conference USA this past season with a 29-7 (13-3 CUSA) mark. On April 21, Donnie Tyndall accepted the Tennessee vacancy after Cuonzo Martin left to take over Cal.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)