Jun 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
If you follow college basketball analyst Jay Bilas on Twitter, you’ve probably seen him begin each morning with a tweet or two that ends with the trademark phrase, “I gotta go to work.”
That trademark phrase comes from Atlanta rapper Young Jeezy, who Bilas has often shouted out on the air and called an urban philosopher.
Jeezy, who has two platinum albums and two gold albums among his six studio releases, also returned the favor by shouting out Bilas on the remix to E-40’s “Function” by saying, “we goin’ to work like Jay Bilas.”
So, as you can see, Bilas and Jeezy have a mutual respect, but the two titans of their respective industries had never actually met in-person until a recent video feature with Vibe.
Bilas starts off in the video by reciting a Jeezy line into the microphone — which is a fantastic start to the clip — and soon Jeezy appears to back him up and give the commentator some help.
From there, Bilas and Jeezy sit down together and Bilas discusses how his admiration of the rapper became public. After finding out that former Michigan State forward Draymond Green was listening to Jeezy on his headphones before a game that Bilas was calling, former ESPN colleague and current North Carolina assistant coach Hubert Davis asked Bilas if he had any idea who Jeezy was.
Because he evidently keeps his ear to the streets, Bilas was already familiar and a fan of Jeezy and Davis and Bilas mentioned the exchange on the air that day. The rest is history.
Soon, Bilas was called out by a fan for not being an actual Jeezy fan and Bilas began dropping verses on Twitter, before finally ending with the now trademark finale of, “I gotta go to work.”
It’s now become a morning routine for Bilas and he also shouted out Jeezy in a recent commencement speech at Queens University in Charlotte.
Hopefully these new friends can get together in the studio and cut a track soon.
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)