Jun 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
If you follow college basketball analyst Jay Bilas on Twitter, you’ve probably seen him begin each morning with a tweet or two that ends with the trademark phrase, “I gotta go to work.”
That trademark phrase comes from Atlanta rapper Young Jeezy, who Bilas has often shouted out on the air and called an urban philosopher.
Jeezy, who has two platinum albums and two gold albums among his six studio releases, also returned the favor by shouting out Bilas on the remix to E-40’s “Function” by saying, “we goin’ to work like Jay Bilas.”
So, as you can see, Bilas and Jeezy have a mutual respect, but the two titans of their respective industries had never actually met in-person until a recent video feature with Vibe.
Bilas starts off in the video by reciting a Jeezy line into the microphone — which is a fantastic start to the clip — and soon Jeezy appears to back him up and give the commentator some help.
From there, Bilas and Jeezy sit down together and Bilas discusses how his admiration of the rapper became public. After finding out that former Michigan State forward Draymond Green was listening to Jeezy on his headphones before a game that Bilas was calling, former ESPN colleague and current North Carolina assistant coach Hubert Davis asked Bilas if he had any idea who Jeezy was.
Because he evidently keeps his ear to the streets, Bilas was already familiar and a fan of Jeezy and Davis and Bilas mentioned the exchange on the air that day. The rest is history.
Soon, Bilas was called out by a fan for not being an actual Jeezy fan and Bilas began dropping verses on Twitter, before finally ending with the now trademark finale of, “I gotta go to work.”
It’s now become a morning routine for Bilas and he also shouted out Jeezy in a recent commencement speech at Queens University in Charlotte.
Hopefully these new friends can get together in the studio and cut a track soon.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)