Jun 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
If you follow college basketball analyst Jay Bilas on Twitter, you’ve probably seen him begin each morning with a tweet or two that ends with the trademark phrase, “I gotta go to work.”
That trademark phrase comes from Atlanta rapper Young Jeezy, who Bilas has often shouted out on the air and called an urban philosopher.
Jeezy, who has two platinum albums and two gold albums among his six studio releases, also returned the favor by shouting out Bilas on the remix to E-40’s “Function” by saying, “we goin’ to work like Jay Bilas.”
So, as you can see, Bilas and Jeezy have a mutual respect, but the two titans of their respective industries had never actually met in-person until a recent video feature with Vibe.
Bilas starts off in the video by reciting a Jeezy line into the microphone — which is a fantastic start to the clip — and soon Jeezy appears to back him up and give the commentator some help.
From there, Bilas and Jeezy sit down together and Bilas discusses how his admiration of the rapper became public. After finding out that former Michigan State forward Draymond Green was listening to Jeezy on his headphones before a game that Bilas was calling, former ESPN colleague and current North Carolina assistant coach Hubert Davis asked Bilas if he had any idea who Jeezy was.
Because he evidently keeps his ear to the streets, Bilas was already familiar and a fan of Jeezy and Davis and Bilas mentioned the exchange on the air that day. The rest is history.
Soon, Bilas was called out by a fan for not being an actual Jeezy fan and Bilas began dropping verses on Twitter, before finally ending with the now trademark finale of, “I gotta go to work.”
It’s now become a morning routine for Bilas and he also shouted out Jeezy in a recent commencement speech at Queens University in Charlotte.
Hopefully these new friends can get together in the studio and cut a track soon.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 0
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)