Jul 17, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
With leading scorer Kelsey Barlow out of eligibility, Howard Moore’s UIC Flames are in need of added scoring punch on the heels of their 6-25 (1-15 Horizon League) 2013-14 campaign. The hope in Chicago is that guard Jay Harris will be able to help the Flames in this area, with the school announcing Thursday that the former Wagner guard has joined the program.
As a graduate transfer Harris, who averaged 10.3 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 21 games last season, will be eligible to play immediately.
“Jay will add tremendous experience to our program,” Moore said in the release. “He has played and excelled in several high-pressure games throughout his career and he will serve as a great resource to our underclassmen and newcomers. He’s a fantastic shooter and the ultimate competitor.”
Harris joins senior guard Marc Brown on the perimeter, with Brown averaging 11.3 points per game in 2013-14.
Harris was suspended for the remainder of the 2013-14 season in mid-February due to a violation of school policy, and UIC will be his third Division I school. Harris played his first two seasons of college basketball at Valparaiso, where he averaged 9.1 points per game as a sophomore.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)