Jul 17, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
With leading scorer Kelsey Barlow out of eligibility, Howard Moore’s UIC Flames are in need of added scoring punch on the heels of their 6-25 (1-15 Horizon League) 2013-14 campaign. The hope in Chicago is that guard Jay Harris will be able to help the Flames in this area, with the school announcing Thursday that the former Wagner guard has joined the program.
As a graduate transfer Harris, who averaged 10.3 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 21 games last season, will be eligible to play immediately.
“Jay will add tremendous experience to our program,” Moore said in the release. “He has played and excelled in several high-pressure games throughout his career and he will serve as a great resource to our underclassmen and newcomers. He’s a fantastic shooter and the ultimate competitor.”
Harris joins senior guard Marc Brown on the perimeter, with Brown averaging 11.3 points per game in 2013-14.
Harris was suspended for the remainder of the 2013-14 season in mid-February due to a violation of school policy, and UIC will be his third Division I school. Harris played his first two seasons of college basketball at Valparaiso, where he averaged 9.1 points per game as a sophomore.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)