Jul 17, 2014, 5:35 PM EST
With leading scorer Kelsey Barlow out of eligibility, Howard Moore’s UIC Flames are in need of added scoring punch on the heels of their 6-25 (1-15 Horizon League) 2013-14 campaign. The hope in Chicago is that guard Jay Harris will be able to help the Flames in this area, with the school announcing Thursday that the former Wagner guard has joined the program.
As a graduate transfer Harris, who averaged 10.3 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 21 games last season, will be eligible to play immediately.
“Jay will add tremendous experience to our program,” Moore said in the release. “He has played and excelled in several high-pressure games throughout his career and he will serve as a great resource to our underclassmen and newcomers. He’s a fantastic shooter and the ultimate competitor.”
Harris joins senior guard Marc Brown on the perimeter, with Brown averaging 11.3 points per game in 2013-14.
Harris was suspended for the remainder of the 2013-14 season in mid-February due to a violation of school policy, and UIC will be his third Division I school. Harris played his first two seasons of college basketball at Valparaiso, where he averaged 9.1 points per game as a sophomore.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)