Jul 27, 2014, 5:41 PM EST
This winter the Louisville Cardinals will begin their first season as a member of the ACC, and it certainly helps the transition for Rick Pitino’s program that power forward Montrezl Harrell decided to return for his junior season. Last year Harrell helped lead the Cardinals to 31 wins (the Cardinals also won a share of the American Athletic Conference regular season title and the conference tournament title) and an appearance in the Sweet 16, posting averages of 14.0 points, 8.4 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per contest.
Widely considered to be one of the most powerful players in college basketball, Harrell will be asked to lead the way for a group that returns most of its rotation including guards Chris Jones, Terry Rozier and Wayne Blackshear. However the Cardinals will have to account for the graduation of two key players in leading scorer Russ Smith and wing Luke Hancock, and in the front court they also lose reserve Stephen Van Treese.
Harrell’s power has been on full display this offseason, and nearly three months after breaking a backboard during a pickup game he was at it again during a summer league game in Cincinnati.
All that’s left for Harrell to do now is to pull off this feat during a college basketball game.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)