Jul 29, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
Chad Frazier, UAB’s leading scorer, will not be returning to the program this season, NBCSports confirmed through a source. He has been granted a release.
Frazier averaged 17.7 points and 4.3 assists as a junior, a season that was impressive enough to earn him an invitation to the Kyrie Irving Point Guard Skills Academy in New Jersey last month.
But Frazier’s offseason has not been all that smooth.
The 6-foot-3 junior was arrested in early June and charged with third-degree domestic violence stemming from an incident back in April. The details, as alleged by the victim, are not pretty
According to Birmingham police spokesman Lt. Sean Edwards, the incident happened on April 17. The female victim got into an altercation with Frazier that escalated and Frazier allegedly lost control and threw a laptop into the room where the victim was located.
Frazier allegedly became angrier when the victim tried to calm him down. The victim says Frazier became violent and pushed her into a bookshelf in the bedroom and later tried to pin her to the ground, where she says Frazier hit her several times with his closed fist while pushing down to the ground with his hands on her upper chest.
At the time, UAB head coach Jared Haase released the following statement: “I am aware of the allegations regarding Chad Frazier. Once the process is complete and all the details are available, we will handle the outcome appropriately. With this being an ongoing situation, we will not be able to comment any further at this time.”
UAB went 18-13 this past season, finishing 7-9 in Conference USA play.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)