Jul 29, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Chad Frazier, UAB’s leading scorer, will not be returning to the program this season, NBCSports confirmed through a source. He has been granted a release.
Frazier averaged 17.7 points and 4.3 assists as a junior, a season that was impressive enough to earn him an invitation to the Kyrie Irving Point Guard Skills Academy in New Jersey last month.
But Frazier’s offseason has not been all that smooth.
The 6-foot-3 junior was arrested in early June and charged with third-degree domestic violence stemming from an incident back in April. The details, as alleged by the victim, are not pretty
According to Birmingham police spokesman Lt. Sean Edwards, the incident happened on April 17. The female victim got into an altercation with Frazier that escalated and Frazier allegedly lost control and threw a laptop into the room where the victim was located.
Frazier allegedly became angrier when the victim tried to calm him down. The victim says Frazier became violent and pushed her into a bookshelf in the bedroom and later tried to pin her to the ground, where she says Frazier hit her several times with his closed fist while pushing down to the ground with his hands on her upper chest.
At the time, UAB head coach Jared Haase released the following statement: “I am aware of the allegations regarding Chad Frazier. Once the process is complete and all the details are available, we will handle the outcome appropriately. With this being an ongoing situation, we will not be able to comment any further at this time.”
UAB went 18-13 this past season, finishing 7-9 in Conference USA play.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)