Jul 29, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Chad Frazier, UAB’s leading scorer, will not be returning to the program this season, NBCSports confirmed through a source. He has been granted a release.
Frazier averaged 17.7 points and 4.3 assists as a junior, a season that was impressive enough to earn him an invitation to the Kyrie Irving Point Guard Skills Academy in New Jersey last month.
But Frazier’s offseason has not been all that smooth.
The 6-foot-3 junior was arrested in early June and charged with third-degree domestic violence stemming from an incident back in April. The details, as alleged by the victim, are not pretty
According to Birmingham police spokesman Lt. Sean Edwards, the incident happened on April 17. The female victim got into an altercation with Frazier that escalated and Frazier allegedly lost control and threw a laptop into the room where the victim was located.
Frazier allegedly became angrier when the victim tried to calm him down. The victim says Frazier became violent and pushed her into a bookshelf in the bedroom and later tried to pin her to the ground, where she says Frazier hit her several times with his closed fist while pushing down to the ground with his hands on her upper chest.
At the time, UAB head coach Jared Haase released the following statement: “I am aware of the allegations regarding Chad Frazier. Once the process is complete and all the details are available, we will handle the outcome appropriately. With this being an ongoing situation, we will not be able to comment any further at this time.”
UAB went 18-13 this past season, finishing 7-9 in Conference USA play.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4