Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Entering the fall there aren’t many programs who have enjoyed as much early success in recruiting the Class of 2015 as Ohio State, with the Buckeyes entering Thursday with four verbal commitments. However Thad Matta’s program lost one of those commitments Thursday evening, with four-star combo forward Mickey Mitchell making public his decision to de-commit from Ohio State.
Mitchell was the second player to verbally commit to Ohio State, doing so last August with point guard A.J. Harris being the Buckeyes’ first 2015 verbal commitment. Baylor, Texas and Florida were among the schools recruiting Mitchell at the time of his commitment to Ohio State, and one would have to assume that many high-major programs will look to get back into the mix with Mitchell back on the board.
Mickey’s decision to de-commit comes a couple months after older brother Mike, who was a linebacker on the Ohio State football team, decided to transfer to Texas Tech. Mickey will be a senior at Plano West HS this season, and the 6-foot-7 forward’s athleticism and skill level are two reasons why he’s developed into one of the better front court prospects in the country.
As for what Ohio State does in the aftermath of Mitchell’s decision, with the program still in the running for both Esa Ahmad and Carlton Bragg those recruitments take on even greater importance for the Buckeyes.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)