Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Entering the fall there aren’t many programs who have enjoyed as much early success in recruiting the Class of 2015 as Ohio State, with the Buckeyes entering Thursday with four verbal commitments. However Thad Matta’s program lost one of those commitments Thursday evening, with four-star combo forward Mickey Mitchell making public his decision to de-commit from Ohio State.
Mitchell was the second player to verbally commit to Ohio State, doing so last August with point guard A.J. Harris being the Buckeyes’ first 2015 verbal commitment. Baylor, Texas and Florida were among the schools recruiting Mitchell at the time of his commitment to Ohio State, and one would have to assume that many high-major programs will look to get back into the mix with Mitchell back on the board.
Mickey’s decision to de-commit comes a couple months after older brother Mike, who was a linebacker on the Ohio State football team, decided to transfer to Texas Tech. Mickey will be a senior at Plano West HS this season, and the 6-foot-7 forward’s athleticism and skill level are two reasons why he’s developed into one of the better front court prospects in the country.
As for what Ohio State does in the aftermath of Mitchell’s decision, with the program still in the running for both Esa Ahmad and Carlton Bragg those recruitments take on even greater importance for the Buckeyes.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)