Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EST
Entering the fall there aren’t many programs who have enjoyed as much early success in recruiting the Class of 2015 as Ohio State, with the Buckeyes entering Thursday with four verbal commitments. However Thad Matta’s program lost one of those commitments Thursday evening, with four-star combo forward Mickey Mitchell making public his decision to de-commit from Ohio State.
Mitchell was the second player to verbally commit to Ohio State, doing so last August with point guard A.J. Harris being the Buckeyes’ first 2015 verbal commitment. Baylor, Texas and Florida were among the schools recruiting Mitchell at the time of his commitment to Ohio State, and one would have to assume that many high-major programs will look to get back into the mix with Mitchell back on the board.
Mickey’s decision to de-commit comes a couple months after older brother Mike, who was a linebacker on the Ohio State football team, decided to transfer to Texas Tech. Mickey will be a senior at Plano West HS this season, and the 6-foot-7 forward’s athleticism and skill level are two reasons why he’s developed into one of the better front court prospects in the country.
As for what Ohio State does in the aftermath of Mitchell’s decision, with the program still in the running for both Esa Ahmad and Carlton Bragg those recruitments take on even greater importance for the Buckeyes.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)