Aug 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
With there being reports that the College of Charleston had two finalists for its head coaching vacancy picked out, alum and former great Anthony Johnson and current Wofford head coach Mike Young, the conclusion of the search seemed to be approaching. Pick one of the two, negotiate a contract and then announce a press conference. That simple, right? Apparently not.
According to Andrew Miller of the Charleston Post and Courier both Johnson and Young have removed their names from consideration, meaning that the school and its search committee have to go back to the drawing board. Wednesday afternoon there was a report that Johnson was the choice, but in a statement Johnson mentioned family reasons as to why he won’t be taking over at his alma mater.
With Johnson, who interviewed for the position in 2012 before the school hired the since-fired Doug Wojcik, and a successful coach in Young no longer considering the position the question now is who can the College of Charleston call. And even more importantly, what quality option can the school call who will be willing to take the job?
Also having interviewed for the opening are four coaches who are currently assistants at high-major programs: Earl Grant (Clemson), Bobby Lutz (NC State), Karl Hobbs (UConn) and Ritchie McKay (Virginia). Of the four three have Division I head coaching experience, with Hobbs leading George Washington to three NCAA tournament appearances (2005, 2006 and 2007) and Lutz having led Charlotte to five NCAA tournament appearances (1999, 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005).
McKay, who also spent time at Colorado State, Portland State, Oregon State and Liberty, led New Mexico to the NCAA tournament in 2005.
Does Charleston give any of those four a call? It would make sense to do so given the fact that they’ve all been interviewed, but with the search having reached this point what are the chances any would be willing to take the job? With classes now in session (the first day was August 19) the clock is ticking on the administration to end the search.
Yet given how things have gone to this point, it’s anyone’s guess as to how long it will take the College of Charleston to do so.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)