Aug 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
With there being reports that the College of Charleston had two finalists for its head coaching vacancy picked out, alum and former great Anthony Johnson and current Wofford head coach Mike Young, the conclusion of the search seemed to be approaching. Pick one of the two, negotiate a contract and then announce a press conference. That simple, right? Apparently not.
According to Andrew Miller of the Charleston Post and Courier both Johnson and Young have removed their names from consideration, meaning that the school and its search committee have to go back to the drawing board. Wednesday afternoon there was a report that Johnson was the choice, but in a statement Johnson mentioned family reasons as to why he won’t be taking over at his alma mater.
With Johnson, who interviewed for the position in 2012 before the school hired the since-fired Doug Wojcik, and a successful coach in Young no longer considering the position the question now is who can the College of Charleston call. And even more importantly, what quality option can the school call who will be willing to take the job?
Also having interviewed for the opening are four coaches who are currently assistants at high-major programs: Earl Grant (Clemson), Bobby Lutz (NC State), Karl Hobbs (UConn) and Ritchie McKay (Virginia). Of the four three have Division I head coaching experience, with Hobbs leading George Washington to three NCAA tournament appearances (2005, 2006 and 2007) and Lutz having led Charlotte to five NCAA tournament appearances (1999, 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005).
McKay, who also spent time at Colorado State, Portland State, Oregon State and Liberty, led New Mexico to the NCAA tournament in 2005.
Does Charleston give any of those four a call? It would make sense to do so given the fact that they’ve all been interviewed, but with the search having reached this point what are the chances any would be willing to take the job? With classes now in session (the first day was August 19) the clock is ticking on the administration to end the search.
Yet given how things have gone to this point, it’s anyone’s guess as to how long it will take the College of Charleston to do so.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)